Amiga: No sound

Discuss any general programming issues here
phipslk

Amiga: No sound

Post by phipslk »

I have a problem with audio on Amiga (RTG/AHI). Sounds in my program are played in windows, but not on amiga.
I made a check routine to see if audio output is ok, but it fails only on amiga.

Code: Select all

@SAMPLE 1,"DeathFlash.wav"
@SAMPLE 2,"drop2s.mp3"

If IsSound() = False
  SystemRequest("My App", "Sorry, sound is required!", "OK")
  End
EndIf
any ideas? AHI is configured fine, all other music is played on my A1200
phipslk

Re: Amiga: No sound

Post by phipslk »

I think I found the problem by myself: mp3 seems not to be supported by Hollywood for Amiga? Hollywood Player says so in an error msg.
So I converted the sound to wav and now it works fine with sound.
plouf

Post by plouf »

well acoording to maunual ->https://www.hollywood-mal.com/docs/html ... rInfo.html

built in loader in hollywood are
inbuilt sound loaders:
IFF 8SVX, IFF 16SV, RIFF WAVE, and Protracker.
and if fail will fail to directshow in windows and datatypes in amiga (native)
so you dont have a mp3 datatype :)
Christos
plouf

Post by plouf »

out of curiosity i did some test. even with mpega datatype neither hollywood neither multiview neither 2b_bsp (player from aminet) can play mp3 !?

possible workarounds is to use wav as said or AVCodec plugin
Christos
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

In Amiga 68k the wav files are supported via datatypes and the mp3 with the mpga.library, but the best option to avoid these problems with the sound formats is to convert them to 8svsx with the great program Sample Player, the 8svsx are supported by Hollywood, although sometimes the sound converted could give problems, but you can test it before to use it and reconverted.
You think that some Amiga users may not have the mpga.library or the wav datapype installed, other benefit to 8svx is the little size in bytes and the CPU usage, because your project uses ogg format the 680xx hasn't power to decode these formats.
phipslk

Post by phipslk »

plouf wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:40 pm well acoording to maunual ->https://www.hollywood-mal.com/docs/html ... rInfo.html
thank you! I was searching in the manual probably for the wrong keywords. And to look into the LoaderApater I didn't get the idea to...
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

plouf wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:49 pm out of curiosity i did some test. even with mpega datatype neither hollywood neither multiview neither 2b_bsp (player from aminet) can play mp3 !?
Keep in mind that sound.datatype doesn't support streaming so the mpega datatype is probably trying to decode the whole MP3 into a single memory buffer which is of course overkill because decoding the raw PCM data of a 4 minutes of music will consume like 40 MB of memory.