Designer 6 GUI error on AROS

Report any Designer bugs here
ntromans

Designer 6 GUI error on AROS

Post by ntromans »

I'm afraid that on updating to Designer 6 on AROS this weekend I've hit a problem with the GUI.

This is on ArosOne distro 2.1, with the same results on two different machines (Samsung Netbook N130 & HP EliteBook 8470p); on both Designer 5 runs fine. Hollwood 10 is installed and works fine too.

On starting Designer 6, the icons that normally surround the edit window are missing (as are the ones for the text editor) and on trying to open an existing project or the thunbnail viewer I get a 'Unable to allocate bitmap' error. It does seem to be the GUI as these problems do not occur when using the Designer 5.0 GUI with the Designer 6 system library and keyfile.

Any help would be much appreciated as it would be really useful to be able to apply the new features such as lists.

Many thanks,
Nigel.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Designer 6 GUI error on AROS

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Can you post a screenshot that shows the issue with the gfx glitches?
ntromans

Post by ntromans »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:51 pm Can you post a screenshot that shows the issue with the gfx glitches?
Please see below, also with the outcome of trying to load a project created in Designer 5.

Cheers,
Nigel.

airsoftsoftwair

Can you try to start Designer from a shell like this:

Code: Select all

1> Designer:Designer -usewpa
Does it help?
ntromans

Post by ntromans »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:16 pm Can you try to start Designer from a shell like this:

1> Designer:Designer -usewpa
Does it help?
That worked! Icons are back and I could open a a project. I did get a recoverable alert as it started - it's a bit late now but when I get a moment I'll take a screen-shot and post up.

Many thanks,
Nigel.
ntromans

Post by ntromans »

Sorry for it being so long since I replied to this - real life rather got in the way around then and to be honest I'd forgotten I'd left this hanging.

Anyway, I should not say that for AROS designer actually starts from the shell without the -usewpa qualifier, so there is some difference between starting from the shall (works) and starting from icon (errors as previously noted).

Cheers,
Nigel.
airsoftsoftwair

This should be fixed for the next version:

- Fix [AROS/WinUAE]: Designer didn't run in wpa mode when started from Workbench; on AROS this led to a
  "Cannot lock bitmap" error when running Designer in an AROS VM