Recover script from EXE?

Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
SamuraiCrow

Re: Recover script from EXE?

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Re:Compiler without chip specific backend
I ported https://github.com/luau-lang/luau to Haiku a few months back. It has a more intelligent compiler than Lua 5.0.2 and is backward compatible as far as Lua 5.1. Unfortunately, the compiler part requires C++17, putting it out of range of GCC 6.5 from Bebbo. If we get GCC 10 or 13 run-times for OS 3.x then maybe there is hope. I don't know how the interpreter stacks up from Luau compared to Lua 5.0.2 or Hollywood but this may be a ray of hope for better performance. The interpreter requires only C++11 so even if cross-compilation were required, GCC 6.5 could run the interpreter at least.

That said, I've pretty much gone back to AmigaE for my hobby coding and am not up-to-date with Hollywood 10+. I'm willing to try to compile Luau to MorphOS if somebody writes a benchmark to run on both. My OS4 box is only a MicroA1 with 256 Megs of RAM so might not be up to the task. MorphOS and OS 3 might need IXEmul.library to test and OS4 might need CLib4.library instead. (Is CLib4 experimental or usable? I know it doesn't work with NewLib shared objects.)

Is there hope to getting a new compiler?

EDIT:
This post might be better moved to this thread as it is not a newbie question.
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.