Rocket Away

Show off your project created with Hollywood
lazi

Rocket Away

Post by lazi »

Hello fellow Hollywood MAL lovers!

I had no time to finish it before a long holiday so i give you this evaluation release of this upcoming title.
Please not distribute it, but send opinions and reports on how well it works on which platform. Thanks!
I will come back with a finished release, which needs about two more weeks! :-)

It features some classic gaming elements that I wanted to realize properly in Hollywood. Like tilemap scrolling, keyboard/joypad contol, positioned audio effects, menu system, vertical blank timed display refresh at 60/75Hz, etc...

This game is not intended to be an original creation in any way. The main purpose was to be a testbed for a fancy 2d tilemap and animation editor which is w.i.p. since some time. In this project I tried to display some really oldschool game elements as smooth as it should be looks like. Hope it works well on your setup.

Now I ask you to test it, keep in the hands of users who has knowledge about Hollywood and help me to improve it by your reports.
Compiled a lot of executables for NG systems and an applet for all.
You can check different display engines for OS4 and MOS because I found that not all hardware behaves the same even on the same system. It really a hell to support every differencies using dated methods.

Tested by me on OS4/Peg2 with (frameskip 1) and on different windows boxes where it works really well.
The display resolution is 800x600 and it is scaled to native resolution at runtime except on OS4 and MOS where that would be too expensive for my hardware.

You can change frameskip of the tilemap engine (not overall frameskip) by the +/- keys. F10 shows the current setting.
On OS4 the default is 1 while every other target has 0 by default.

The _sdl and _gl in the name of the executables are sign for the requirements of glgalore.hwp and rebelsdl.hwp. These are to be installed before.

Download page:
http://kezdobetu.hu/software/downloads/ra/

That is all for now!
Bugala

Re: Rocket Away

Post by Bugala »

Tried on Windows machine from 2015. Works perfectly, didnt notice any kind of slowdown at any point, but seemed like it was working at max speed all the time as far as eye and mind could see.
lazi

Post by lazi »

Thanks Bugala!

On windows there is no problem to run it fast and vsynced. Unfortunately OS4/MOS needs the GlGalore/RebelSDL display engine for proper vsync at least on fullscreen.
Tried the best to make it the fastest possible, but currently this resolution is the top for a Pegasos2/Radeon 9250 on OS4.
I was quite confident with the 23ms frame time and then saw that the old office pc do it in 4ms. Hmmm! :-)
Hope there is room for optimisation!
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Linux Ubuntu doesn't open the game rocketaway_Linux64 and with applet the rocketaway.hwa crashed the machinje, only I could seem FASA, Fabrica de Automoviles Sociedad Anomina? here in alencia we have one FASA, to manufacture Renault bad cards.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

This looks very cool and has a great retro touch to it! One suggestion: On modern systems I'd prefer if the game didn't change the monitor resolution but just upscaled the graphics to the current monitor resolution, e.g. use something like -fullscreenscale. On Windows and macOS this is all handled by the GPU so it won't have any impact on the performance. Of course on Amigaoids it's better to change the monitor resolution.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Juan Carlos wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:49 pm Linux Ubuntu doesn't open the game rocketaway_Linux64 and with applet the rocketaway.hwa crashed the machinje, only I could seem FASA, Fabrica de Automoviles Sociedad Anomina? here in alencia we have one FASA, to manufacture Renault bad cards.
The Windows 32 version with Wine works fine.
lazi

Post by lazi »

Thanks Andreas!

Yes I wanted to use the host resolution on every system except Amigoid.
I can't check in the source currently, but as far as I remember the #display preprocessor has the #scalemode_auto parameter and the scalewidth/height are set to #native.
Is that differerent than #fullscreenscale mode?
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

I tested on Windows 7 and the game works fine except the interlace background from Intro.
Other question is how you make to scroll with Hollywood for the ship, because it is interesting.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

lazi wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:54 pm Thanks Andreas!

Yes I wanted to use the host resolution on every system except Amigoid.
I can't check in the source currently, but as far as I remember the #display preprocessor has the #scalemode_auto parameter and the scalewidth/height are set to #native.
Is that differerent than #fullscreenscale mode?
I think the most convenient way would be to use the display mode "AutoFullScreen". It will do a physical resolution switch on slower systems and scaling on faster systems. That's what the history says about it:

Code: Select all

- New: Added "AutoFullScreen" and "LayerFullScreen" display mode to the @DISPLAY tag; if this is used,
  Hollywood will use auto-scaled or layer-scaled full screen mode if the host system is powerful enough to
  handle it; this means that on slower systems like AmigaOS, a physical resolution change of the monitor will
  occur and no autoscaling or layerscaling will be used whereas on faster systems that support scaling
  using the GPU full screen mode will be emulated by scaling the display to the monitor's dimensions using
  either the autoscaling or layerscaling engine; you can also activate this full screen mode by using the
  new AUTOFULLSCREEN or LAYERFULLSCREEN console argument/tooltype
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

The MorphOS safem works fine but the sdl gaves me the problem in the line 105 scalebrush and it not opens the game, but as in the Windows the cover from intro is showed bad.