First public HGui release published!

Show off your project created with Hollywood
Allanon

First public HGui release published!

Post by Allanon »

Hello Hollywood coders,
I'm very proud to announce that, after 14 years of development, the first public version of HGui is available on GitHub.
HGui is a GUI ToolKit for Hollywood-MAL written completely with Hollywood.
--- from the readme ---
v1.7 (23/02/2023) by Fabio Falcucci aka Allanon
HGui is a GUI ToolKit for Hollywood-MAL written in plain Hollywood-MAL.

The only needed requiremens are the includes provided with the HGui distribution.

HGui offers unique features to you but the main purpose is to allow the programmer to have cross-compile applications that are able to render the exact same interface on all the platforms supported by Hollywood.

You don't need any external plugin to use HGui.

HGui comes with a fully commented source code, many examples and tutorials, an html manual and, for those willing to support me on Patreon, there is support and personalized examples.

--8<----
NOTE ABOUT INCLUDES
Please note that the includes that comes with HGui are not necessary the same as the ones in GitHub->/Hollywood-MAL-Libraries, the ones that comes with HGui are tested with HGui and are placed in the same repository as HGui for simplicity, so that users can have all the needed stuff in a single place. By the way I will try to keep them in sync.

HISTORY
This project was born around 14 years ago and its first incarnation was called ScuiLib, I needed gadgets for my programs and I decided to build a GUI library by myself since at that time there was no plugins to build UIs.

The time passed and I learned many things about Hollywood-MAL which also evolved adding more and more features at every new release.

ScuiLib was used as a starting point for a new version called HGui, and after some time I started to create applications with it.

HGui still misses some features but it's fully usable and stable so I decided that do no sharing my work with others would be a pity. I decided to share my work but before reaching this point I spent countless hours writing the documentation, the examples and some tutorials.

With my efforts I hope to help Hollywood-MAL to grow its userbase because it deserves it, and I will be honest with you all: I also hope to raise a bit the support on my Partreon page :)

It should work out-of-the-box but if you have any issue please let me know and I will fix it.
Bugala

Re: First public HGui release published!

Post by Bugala »

Did you have slider-buttons in HGUI?

I am still missing settings page from my game and came to my mind that HGUI could be good solution to fix the problem, since I dont intend to use much time on it, its not that important. As long as people are able to tweak settings, I suppose players are mostly happy.

edit: Actually, looking the picture better I can see there one slider button. Good! And what a good timing too.
xabierpayet

Post by xabierpayet »

Amazing, i will try it this weekend, thank you
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Very nice, congratulations on this release!
p-OS

Post by p-OS »

Short instruction to test:

Goto https://github.com/Allanon71/HGui

Click on green "Code" button,in the popup menu select "Download Zip".

Extract Zip Archive

Open the file +Includes.hws for editing

Goto line 14

Adapt the following constant

Code: Select all

#INC_PATH     = "C:/Users/Fabio.NB-FABIO/Desktop/HGui/"
To the main directory of HGUI. Ensure that the path ends with a path slash (/), otherwise it will not work.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Today I tested how HGui performs on WinUAE (68020+FPU+RTG, fastest as possible) and here is a video, I think that the result is not bad since there is a lot of space for optimization and the demoed ui at the end of the video was very complex.
In this example gadget cache (both for foreground and background) was switched on, that's why it eats some memory :)

Video : https://youtu.be/ANFJvZNOshc
Patreon post : https://www.patreon.com/posts/79286057

This lite demo has been added to my GitHub in the examples folder.
I also fixed a small bug in the main Showcase demo :)

@p-OS : Thanks for the short instructions! :D
emeck

Post by emeck »

@Allanon

Hi. Tried to run "000 - Showcase.hws" but I get the error:

Constant #inc_path was already declared!
File: +Includes.hws current line: 14()

And then nothing after clicking OK button.

I've set Const #INC_PATH to the correct drawer.

Using HW 10 and MOS 3.17
PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.15
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

emeck wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:37 pm @Allanon

Hi. Tried to run "000 - Showcase.hws" but I get the error:

Constant #inc_path was already declared!

Using HW 10 and MOS 3.17
Hi Emeck,
that's strange because Hollywood should handle recursive includes... Right now I cannot test it under MOS, and I still don't have HW10 but it should just work...
I also think that it's not a MOS problem because when I published a demo of Hasteroids which was using my GLFX linclude i used the same +Includes.hws file and IIRC there was a MOS user (maybe was you?) that didn't had problems with this method... or maybe i don't remember well
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

@emeck

Could you try a simple test?

In the includes folder create a new file and make a new script:

@INCLUDE "+Includes.hws"
@INCLUDE "+Includes.hws"
It should run without errors
emeck

Post by emeck »

@Allanon
Allanon wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:46 am I also think that it's not a MOS problem because when I published a demo of Hasteroids which was using my GLFX linclude i used the same +Includes.hws file and IIRC there was a MOS user (maybe was you?) that didn't had problems with this method... or maybe i don't remember well
Yes, that is why this error looked familiar! :)

A "test.hws" with the code below works when ran from the drawer were +Includes.hws is:

@INCLUDE "+Includes.hws"
@INCLUDE "+Includes.hws"
debugprint("Done!")
I'm finally able to run the showcase by replacing line 13 in "000 - Showcase.hws" with the full path to "+Includes.hws". So "../../" seems to cause some problem here.
PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.15
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE