Is it possible to record audio from line in or microphone?

Discuss any general programming issues here
AlexC

Is it possible to record audio from line in or microphone?

Post by AlexC »

Is there a way to capture audio with Hollywood?

I was thinking about making some kind of walkie talkie program to send/receive audio (speech) via TCP or UDP, initially just playing the incoming stream right away, and possibly storing it on the receiving end if the listener is "away" to be able to replay it later, much like an answering machine or voicemail.

I looked at the libraries and plug-ins but couldn't find any function related to the audio input side of things, only playback.

I'm guessing that this feature isn't implemented because it is far less common than audio playback?

I understand that each OS has a different API to access the audio hardware, be it AHI, PulseAudio, Alsa, DirectSound, etc. and since Hollywood is able to play sounds on all the supported platforms it must already support these APIs to some extent.

I also found that SDL can handle audio input but Rebel SDL doesn't seem to have audio input functions. SDL could be a handy shortcut to gaining access to the host OS audio subsystem as the SDL library already supports the related APIs.

Is there currently a way I might have missed?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Is it possible to record audio from line in or microphone?

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

No, it's currently not possible but it's indeed on my list for the next update of the RebelSDL plugin because SDL has this functionality as you've correctly pointed out.
AlexC

Re: Is it possible to record audio from line in or microphone?

Post by AlexC »

Great!
Thank you Andreas!