Linked plugins

Discuss about plugins that don't have a dedicated forum
lazi

Linked plugins

Post by lazi »

If I am right the linked plugins are copied to sys:Storage/Hollywood and keeps there while the script is running.
A user reported me that he can not run the program, because he does have lock on the sys: volume.

The solution seems to be stay on with separate plugins in the program drawer.

What about checking the storage target and change it to T: if sys:storage is missing or write protected?
Or would it be a lot of work to use linked plugins without temporary files?

And what about checking Libs:Hollywood and if there is a plugin with the same version number, there is no need to save the plugin to a temporary file? Then the user could select the possibility in the installer to copy plugins or not.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Linked plugins

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

A lock on SYS:? How exactly does this work? Is this an OS-feature or some 3rd party patch? I've never heard of locks on SYS: before...
lazi

Post by lazi »

6.WorkBench:> lock ?
DRIVE/A,ON/S,OFF/S,PASSKEY:

It is an OS feature from maybe 3.1.

lock sys: on

Then the sys: is write protected.
airsoftsoftwair

Interesting, never heard of it before but looks like it really has been there for quite a long time... But I'm not sure if I should fix anything. Setting a lock on SYS: sounds like asking for trouble to me because lots of programs will try to write to SYS:, e.g. when writing to ENVARC:. The general problem is that there is no standard path for temporary files on the Amiga except T: .... but T: is always in RAM: so it's unfit for larger files. That's why Hollywood uses SYS:Storage which seems to come closest to a location for non-RAM temporary files.
lazi

Post by lazi »

And what about checking Libs:Hollywood and just skip the temporary file if the same plugin is already installed?
airsoftsoftwair

This won't spare Hollywood from loading the linked plugin either because the one installed in LIBS:Hollywood could be an older version of the plugin so Hollywood needs to load the linked plugin nevertheless to see if it's a newer version.

But I could probably implement loading the plugin directly from the applet without the temporary file detour. dos.library has an InternalLoadSeg() function which could be used to realize this but I'll have to see how well this works on the NG systems like OS4, MorphOS and AROS. I'll check if this is up for the job.
lazi

Post by lazi »

Thanks Andreas, that sounds good!