Some good beginners guide?

Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
Yasu

Some good beginners guide?

Post by Yasu »

I have started to learn Hollywood, but the problem with the included guide is that it's so limited. It becomes very complicated almost immediately, which is a huge problem for me who has ZERO programming knowledge. I need a helping hand for longer than one chapter in order to learn the basics.

Are there any guides out there directed to complete beginners?
Allanon

Re: Some good beginners guide?

Post by Allanon »

Hello Yasu,
if you are starting with programming from scratch I may suggest to pick one of the example bundled with Hollywood and try to understand how the code works and then try to change something on your own.
If there is something you can't figure out just ask or post the code snippet and I, or someone else available in the forum, will try to explain it :)
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Unfortuantely with zero progamming experience, there is no good guide available for Hollywood at this point.

I have been planning of making a video serie for long time to help with this problem. But so far it havent happened. I made one video couple of years ago, but i have no idea when, or even if, i will make second one.

And even that first video is not about programming yet, it is only about designer.
Yasu

Post by Yasu »

I have tried that approach, but only with limited success. Every time I change something and it doesn't work, it's not that obvious what I have done wrong. I try to look in the very extensive guide and though it's excellent, the problem is often that I just don't know what I'm supposed to look for. That's the problem, the "hello world" script part is great, easy to understand and I felt that I was getting somewhere and couldn't wait to start program myself. Then came the next chapter and I felt all "huh!?". The jump in skill level was too great. It was like going from "this is where your heart is, and now here is a scalpel so you can perform your own heart transplant".

Hollywood really needs some guide for absolute beginners. PortablE has it's E guide for beginners. I want to be able to program, but I don't want to have to guess for hours just to be able to do something very simple ...

I hope you understand my frustration.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Sure, I understand well what you mean, you feel lost in the Hollywood jungle :D

I can suggest to read and try the code snippets in the guide sections:
+ Language overview
+ Data type (very importnat topic)
+ Expressions and operators
+ Variables
+ Program Flow (very important topic)
+ Functions

When you have mastered all the above with very simple examples you can go on with
+ Concepts
and the library chapters

Some months ago I've written some tutorials to start from scratch for an italian fanzine called Commoodore Fan Gazette, it's a free magazine but it's in italian.
I cannot promise anything since I'm quiet busy but if I have some spare time I will try to translate in english the tutorials.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Well, all beginnings are difficult :) I'm sure there are people here who can help you get started but we'd need some more information on what you want to do, which problems you've encountered etc etc.

By the way, Bugala even seems to have written a little tutorial at your request: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=907
Yasu

Post by Yasu »

For me it's just getting to know how a programming language's logic works. I think that once I know that, I can start figuring out the rest little by little. I just need to get that far. And that's the reason why I never learned programming: most books assume you have some knowlege. Even though the books are for "beginners". I would really like to know why that is :)

Thanks for that link! I will start take a closer look at it. Sorry for all the trouble, but I really don't want to give up on Hollymood :mrgreen: