Graphics and info about resolution

Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
NubeCheCorre

Graphics and info about resolution

Post by NubeCheCorre »

Hi Guys, just a simple question about graphic and screen resolution..

I am working on a simple video game, just for fun, nothing serious :)

I plan to make, thanks to Hollywood, a multiplatform game that can run at FullScreen and Window mode. The user can select differents resolution like for example: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and so on..

I would like to know what's the best resolution to draw my sprites and backgrounds.. As the game can run on differents resolutions, to have a better quality, do i have to draw at higher resolution like 1920x1080 (keeping in mind that sprites have a fixed width and height like 32x32 or 64x64) or lower resolution?, like 640x480 ?
Tuxedo

Re: Graphics and info about resolution

Post by Tuxedo »

Imho you have to use a fixed resolution, better 16/9 or 16/10 one that was rather standard but nothing lower than 800 wide(better 1024) to have a gfx that looks proof and not too oldstylish...
If you like to have a oldstyle look instead go on maximum 640x480 or even lower...
Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

If speed is not an question, then you could do as I do.

I make graphics in 1920 x 1200/1080 and at beginning of program I open window that expands over whole screen and use autoscaling feature to let Hollywood do the scaling for me automatically.

This way whatever resolution is open when program is started, the game will automatically expand over whole screen and Hollywood will take care of scaling for me. It have worked fine enough for me so far, although naturally you get best result if you make individual graphics for each screenmode, but who wants to take that much effort?
NubeCheCorre

Post by NubeCheCorre »

thanks for the replies.. so it is better focus on one resolution like 640x480 for old style pixel graphic.. as i have to do graphic and programming in this way it will take less time :-)