A big doubt about Plananarama

Discuss about plugins that don't have a dedicated forum
Juan Carlos

A big doubt about Plananarama

Post by Juan Carlos »

I have a big doubt with this plugin, because I am thinking in a make an adventure game for Amiga classic, if I use backgrounds, brushes and sprites converted to 256 colors each thing with its own palette, using Plananarama show in screen all with the same palette making a common conversion? or I have first a common palette for all?
Which is the correct way?
Thanks.
plouf

Re: A big doubt about Plananarama

Post by plouf »

i never use it , but as i understand from manual, and from what i know how things are working in pallete based logic
you create a pallete, and all graphics use this pallete.
one palette for system, and all gfx displayed based on that
Also as you know, you can chagne palette later for diffirent needs, but all stuff have to use new palette
for example if First level in in the sea, you can have more blue colors for items, while second level is in forrest palette can have more brown/green colors
however ALL items loaded there should use the specific palette

in palete mode there is not color , but position.
i.e. a 8bit palette, form example we have black in pallete position 1 and brown in pallete position 2
every palette gfx item img etc have its color based in position
for example if you draw a box with color in position 1, will be displayed brown.

The palette stuff is easier to draw with palette based tools (imho) like PPAINT etc
there is very obvius the use of color position vs color code
Christos
jPV

Post by jPV »

In the palette based coding, it would be the best that all grahpics that have to be shown simultaneously would be using the same palette in the original graphics. If you use several 256 color images with different palettes on each and combine them later in the code, the result won't be that good because you don't have exact control how they are remapped to a single 256 color palette.

In the optimal situation you would have a pre-defined palette and you would draw all your graphics with those colors. But if you already have graphics with more colors, I would merge their palettes first with some paint/image processing program, and you can then also fine-tune the result by removing artifacts, re-painting ugly parts, adjusting palette colors, etc.. PPaint has pretty good palette merging options and I've added palette based handling in RNOEffects in the latest version too.

One option could be to use images with less colors, for example using 64 colors for the background images, 16 colors for each sprite, or something like that but keeping total amount of colors at 256 max. I guess they should remap just fine to a 256 colors screen then.

And of course loading screens and different locations can use different palettes, it's just about what's shown at once on the screen. But character sprites etc. should always use the same colors, so maybe it's wise to reserve certain amount of pens for them.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Thank you both for your answers, I though the best way was the difficult way, convert all graphics with a same palette and it is a hard work with little reward.