macOS, quarantine and App Translocation, Run()

Discuss any general programming issues here
Flinx

macOS, quarantine and App Translocation, Run()

Post by Flinx »

When I finally split my player into two components, the macOS quarantine function caused trouble with the downloaded program. As result my setup instructions have become much more complicated than I intended. Since I have little experience with Macs, I would ask if any of the German readers here know enough about the Mac to comment on these instructions. Maybe something could be made simpler.

By the way, it is interesting that Run() is executed without error for a Hollywood script running in this quarantine mode, but does not work. But I guess there is not much you can do about that.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: macOS, quarantine and App Translocation, Run()

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

I think you can easily get around the hassle of forcing users to make your program executable if you use container formats that support the corresponding executable flags, e.g. for Linux use tar.gz and for macOS use dmg images. Those container formats can store the executable flag so the user doesn't have to set that on his own which saves quite some hassle.

Concerning macOS quarantine: I don't think there's any way around this. With each new macOS release it seems to get harder to install software from outside the App Store and one day even that might not be possible any more...
Flinx

Re: macOS, quarantine and App Translocation, Run()

Post by Flinx »

Thanks, I'll try it that way.