CreatePort for Linux/Mac

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
Flinx

CreatePort for Linux/Mac

Post by Flinx »

After a while of unsuccessful trial and error on Linux I searched the forum and found an old comment that CreatePort only works with Amiga and Windows.
Since this is not mentioned in the manual: Will it be added at some point?
plouf

Re: CreatePort for Linux/Mac

Post by plouf »

where is this post ?
i see this post viewtopic.php?p=15787#p15787

which specifically claims "RApaGUI CreatePort very useful for Macos/Linux"
so maybe just add a "REQUIRE "rapagui"" only for port ?
Christos
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

It was this post:
viewtopic.php?p=9554#p9554

I'll try with rapagui.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Flinx wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:03 pm Since this is not mentioned in the manual: Will it be added at some point?
Yes, it's planned but currently unimplemented but you should be able to work around it by using RapaGUI. Note that RapaGUI also emulates standard Hollywood displays so you can use RapaGUI even if your script doesn't create any GUIs. Once activated, RapaGUI will substitute Hollywood's default display adapter.
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

I have now tried a little, and the first impression of the RapaGUI workaround is not so great.
As you know, I'm trying to achieve a kind of real-time operation with my player in order to update various display elements in parallel. With RapaGUI included, some things seem to take more time, and for example, moving a horizontal scrolling text (for which I misuse a large layer) looks much bumpier than without RapaGUI.
Then there are no more mouse wheel events with RapaGUI.

Then I tried a test script (on Windows) to find out whether large strings can also be passed. During these experiments I had two Rapagui error dialog boxes several times (but not exactly reproduceable):
DDE poke request failed: reentrancy problem.
DDE poke request failed: an internal call to the PostMessage function has failed.
And on Linux (Mint 21.2) once there was a frozen interface and a dialog box "Program does not respond" and several times I got the console message Speicherzugriffsfehler (I think this is Segmentation fault).

Regardless of RapaGUI: Maybe you should mention in the manual that one cannot pass strings with arbitrary content as arguments to SendMessage(). Although this could be guessed because the received arguments are split with SplitStr() in the example, not everyone will see this immediately.
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

By the way, at the moment I think it might be a better solution to use the network functions on localhost to have something like IPC on all platforms.
plouf

Post by plouf »

while its true, consider that some antivirus may block it !

isnt CreatePort with rapagui multiplatform currently?
Christos
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

plouf wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:06 pm while its true, consider that some antivirus may block it !
Hmm, that's right. Difficult. But I already use networking to control VLC (for radio streaming). This should trigger the same antivirus rules I think, because I start the VLC server for telnet. Or maybe the VLC telnet port is a special case. I must look at it. At least on my Windows machine (only with Defender) I could change the port for VLC without problem (I did make it configuable).
isnt CreatePort with rapagui multiplatform currently?
Yes, but I had some problems, see posting above.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Flinx wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:10 pm With RapaGUI included, some things seem to take more time, and for example, moving a horizontal scrolling text (for which I misuse a large layer) looks much bumpier than without RapaGUI.
Then there are no more mouse wheel events with RapaGUI.
Ah, ok, if drawing performance is important then the RapaGUI detour is probably not the best idea because it will obviously wrap everything inside a GTK application and this is slower than pure X11 as used by Hollywood's default display adapter. I guess it's time to properly implement IPC on Linux and macOS as well...
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

Thanks, that would be nice. Until then, I'll try to simulate the functions via file system (I think plouf is right with the warning about firewalls and antiviruses when using the IP stack).