HollywoodPlayer user option to Create an executable from Applet

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
NathanH

HollywoodPlayer user option to Create an executable from Applet

Post by NathanH »

Hi,

I can see distributing applets that a user might want to actually have in executable form instead. Is it possible to add an option to HollywoodPlayer to make the .hwa file into an executable for its particular platform? I don't know if that would require encryption of the .hwa file so that they can't be created by a savvy user to bypass purchasing Hollywood.

Right now I'm deliberating for a long time as to whether to release several related things as executables or applets. With that option for HollywoodPlayer I wouldn't think twice about releasing as applets. Thanks for considering it.

NathanH
Juan Carlos

Re: HollywoodPlayer user option to Create an executable from Applet

Post by Juan Carlos »

I think that you think that an applet is very different to executable, besides of size, less, the applet can't embeded the plugins as the executable, and even you ca run the applet call to Hollywood Player from a browser, the applet format has good advantages as an only file for all Amiga systems or an only file without some Amiga commands for all systems, the only problem is that user in Amiga only wants executables.
NathanH

Post by NathanH »

Hi,

I'm writing some CLI scripts in Hollywood. There are several that work together. The size would be huge if each was an executable so I can see writing shell or AREXX scripts that call them as .hwa files via HollywoodPlayer. I can also see some people, however, that would not care about the size so would want executables, instead. These scripts would make a huge archive if all the scripts were executables. In this case it is better to distribute as .hwa and let the user decide whether to create an executable out of it. That is why I wish what I wish, not because I misunderstand the differences between an applet and an executable. Thanks.

NathanH
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

NathanH wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:24 pm Hi,

I'm writing some CLI scripts in Hollywood. There are several that work together. The size would be huge if each was an executable so I can see writing shell or AREXX scripts that call them as .hwa files via HollywoodPlayer. I can also see some people, however, that would not care about the size so would want executables, instead. These scripts would make a huge archive if all the scripts were executables. In this case it is better to distribute as .hwa and let the user decide whether to create an executable out of it. That is why I wish what I wish, not because I misunderstand the differences between an applet and an executable. Thanks.

NathanH
Also you have an interesting option with the icon call to Hollywood Player in silent way, I use this for some bizarre project mine.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

NathanH wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:47 pm Right now I'm deliberating for a long time as to whether to release several related things as executables or applets. With that option for HollywoodPlayer I wouldn't think twice about releasing as applets. Thanks for considering it.
Sorry, won't come. Compile functionality is only available in the full version, not in the player.
NathanH

Post by NathanH »

Thanks, just a wish...

NathanH