Inactive Displays

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
jPV

Re: Inactive Displays

Post by jPV »

I can reproduce this with the previous example on MorphOS at least. You'll have to have two or more screens open, and when you run the script and try to manually switch to another screen (by cmd-m, for example), the screen is immediately switched back to the screen where Hollywood display is on. So you can't do anything on other screens, because the view is switched back to the original screen all the time. Maybe the window doesn't become active, but the screen is brought to front anyway.

I have had similar issue with my RNOWidgets too, but it's with DisplayBGPic() which makes the screen jump to front. There doesn't seem to be any argument to keep it inactive either... would be nice to update bgpic "silently". Or is it the OS that brings the screen to front when a new window (re)opens?
jPV

Post by jPV »

Uhmm.. can't seem to be able to reproduce my DisplayBGPic() issue with a simple example, so maybe better ignore this additional report until I find a way to do a MCVE :)

But in any case the OP's example was reproducible here.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

jPV wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:11 am Or is it the OS that brings the screen to front when a new window (re)opens?
Apparently yes, but only on OS3 and OS4. On MorphOS opening an inactive window on a non-front screen doesn't bring that screen to the front. But Hollywood does it, presumably to be consistent with OS3 and OS4. So I'm afraid if the problem is about opening a window on a non-front screen without that screen becoming active I can't do anything about it because OS3 and OS4 always bring the screen to front, even if the window is set to be inactive.
jPV

Post by jPV »

NathanH wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:38 pm I've tried not using OpenDisplay() and CloseDisplay() but the MoveDisplay() then distorts the background as he walks.
Back to your original plan... I would think that MoveDisplay() alone is enough, why to close and open the display for every frame? Why wouldn't you get smooth animation without distorts with it either?

If you're drawing several things on the display, maybe you should use BeginRefresh() or BeginDoubleBuffer() to avoid any flickering/distorting. Then it's just about drawing correct things in correct positions, at least if you're using GrabDesktop() method and not some alpha transparent bgpics.
NathanH

Post by NathanH »

Hi,

Perhaps the title of this thread is causing the confusion. Please try opening another screen (like an editor) before running this script. Then try to switch to that screen after you run this from the console. You are unable to switch to the editor screen because the Workbench screen keeps coming forward.

NathanH
jPV

Post by jPV »

NathanH wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:20 pm Perhaps the title of this thread is causing the confusion. Please try opening another screen (like an editor) before running this script. Then try to switch to that screen after you run this from the console. You are unable to switch to the editor screen because the Workbench screen keeps coming forward.
Yes, that's because OpenDisplay() after CloseDisplay() will open a new window on OS every time you call it, and opening a new window brings the (Workbench) screen to front always as airsoftsoftwair told in his last reply. So I'm afraid nothing can be done for it.

But I suggested that maybe you should try again with just MoveDisplay(), but yea... maybe the background moving/refreshing will always make a small glitch, but how bad it will be if you try to minimize time between moving and redrawing...
NathanH

Post by NathanH »

Hello,

Thanks for trying to help. This is a wish list. I wish for an OpenDisplay option that does not bring the Workbench screen forward. If it's impossible, oh well. A lot of my wishes in life don't come true. Thanks.

NathanH