MultiDisplays.hws Unable to open window!

Discuss SDL programming with the RebelSDL plugin here
emeck

MultiDisplays.hws Unable to open window!

Post by emeck »

Hello,

MultiDisplays example doesn't work under MOS3.17:

Code: Select all

Unable to open window!
File: MultiDisplays.hws (current line: 390 - In function: OpenDisplay)
PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.15
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
airsoftsoftwair

Re: MultiDisplays.hws Unable to open window!

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

That's a limitation of MorphOS' SDL. SDL on MorphOS currently only supports a single window.
emeck

Post by emeck »

That is with powerSDL, right?

Any chance of using SDL2 in a future RebelSDL?
PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.15
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
airsoftsoftwair

emeck wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 am Any chance of using SDL2 in a future RebelSDL?
Last time I checked SDL2 was very unstable on MorphOS and rather like experimental alphaware which is why RebelSDL uses PowerSDL. On OS4, though, SDL2 is stable and RebelSDL uses it.
tolkien

Post by tolkien »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:23 pm
emeck wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 am Any chance of using SDL2 in a future RebelSDL?
Last time I checked SDL2 was very unstable on MorphOS and rather like experimental alphaware which is why RebelSDL uses PowerSDL. On OS4, though, SDL2 is stable and RebelSDL uses it.
When was that? SDL2 on MorphOS has received a lot of updates and is used in various games, so it seems mature enough.
airsoftsoftwair

tolkien wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:53 pm When was that? SDL2 on MorphOS has received a lot of updates and is used in various games, so it seems mature enough.
Checked some old mails and last time I worked on it was in 2020. Apparently I chose PowerSDL over SDL2 because in 2020 SDL2 on MorphOS did NOT have hardware acceleration at all. That might have changed in the meantime. I have to check but I still wouldn't bet on it having multi window support because typical SDL apps don't need that... they just need a single window.
airsoftsoftwair

tolkien wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:53 pm When was that? SDL2 on MorphOS has received a lot of updates and is used in various games, so it seems mature enough.
Tested the latest SDL2.26.5 now and I'm afraid it's still the same. Slow and not hardware accelerated. So looks like good old PowerSDL is still very superior to SDL2 on MorphOS. With PowerSDL it's perfectly smooth and utilizing the GPU whereas SDL2 is even slower than Hollywood's built-in renderer.