20th anniversary: XLSX plugin 1.0 released

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
admin
Site Admin

20th anniversary: XLSX plugin 1.0 released

Post by admin »

On November 4th 2002, Airsoft Softwair, the hardest working men in code business, released Hollywood 1.0 for 68k AmigaOS. Originally advertised as a multimedia authoring solution, nobody would have expected back then that this software would turn into a cross-platform programming language for lots of platforms with dozens of plugins for all kinds of tasks. Now, 20 years later, Hollywood is still going strong, receives regular updates and new plugins, and is used by many people around the globe. All of this would not have been possible without the continued support of many Hollywood enthusiasts in the past 20 years. Only the positive feedback we received right from the start made us continue developing Hollywood into what it is today.

As a little "thank you", we proudly present yet another plugin for Hollywood: XLSX. The XLSX plugin makes it possible to conveniently read and write XLSX documents from Hollywood scripts. It offers a wide variety of functions to set and get cell values, cell types, cell formulas, document/worksheet properties and several other attributes. It also offers an iterator function for a high performance iteration of a large number of cells.

On top of that, the XLSX plugin also supports the new serialization interface introduced in Hollywood 9 which means that scripts can conveniently serialize Hollywood tables to XLSX documents by just a single call to Hollywood's SerializeTable() function. In the same manner scripts can also deserialize whole XLSX documents into Hollywood tables by a single call to Hollywood's DeserializeTable() function. It just doesn't get any easier!

Of course, the XLSX plugin also comes with detailed documentation in various formats and integrates seamlessly in the Hollywood IDE, including live help. The XLSX plugin is now available for free download from the official Hollywood portal. Thanks to everybody for all the support in the past 20 years and here's to the next 20 years, cheers!

This release was brought to you by the hardest working men in code business.
jPV

Re: 20th anniversary: XLSX plugin 1.0 released

Post by jPV »

Congratulations! And uhh.. thank you! :D
lazi

Post by lazi »

Happy birthday to Hollywood!
Continuous development for twenty years is a marvellous achievement.
Admirable!

Thanks for XLSX plugin! I used to make some functions for getting data from xlsx, but this complete solution will surely helpful for the next time.
Worksheets to Hollywood table? Insane! :-)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hollywood 9.1 on Windows 10. 64 bit version installed in the default programs folder. Down loaded and unzipped the 64 bit plug in. Unblocked the help file as is normal and then copied the help file to the docs folder and plug in to the plug ins folder with the rest of them. XLSX help and plug in do not show up in the lists. Administrative permissions were given during the copy process.
Tried a couple of times, then tried the 32 bit plug in. Still cannot see the plug in in the list, nor the help file. Moved the Hollywood folder to c:\ and reset the paths in the preferences just in case permissions were the issue. No change. Cannot see the help file or plug in in the Hollywood menus.

Copied an example from the help file to the editor and tried to run it. The plug in is not found. Any ideas please as this is a very useful plug in?

Thanks
Dave
plouf

Post by plouf »

32bit plugins need to be installed in a hollywood32 installation not in 64bit hollywood isntallation
Christos
zylesea

Post by zylesea »

Happy anniversary!
Gosh, 20 years, time flies! I am onboard since 1.9.
Unfortunately with too little time to do something productive with hollywood since 2-3 years. The xlsx plugin sounds yummy, but it has to wait till get used by me until I'll have some spare time again which is will be - dunno (kids, job, wife with post Covid/CFS - it's a bit stressy).
Andreas keep on with your great work. I appreciate it very much. And I doubt I would have programmed as much as I have w/o Hollywood. Thank you!
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

I have a doubt this new plugin, in what cases is useful? and there are some code examples?
Thanks.
plouf

Post by plouf »

Plugin is for read and create excel (xlsx new format) documents
Christos
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Thanks to Helmut Haake and Dominic Widmer a German translation of the XLSX manual is now available here.