HTMLview on AmigaOS

Discuss GUI programming with the RapaGUI plugin here
midwan

HTMLview on AmigaOS

Post by midwan »

I'm testing a GUI for an idea I had, but run into an interesting problem. Even though the (mock-up for now) GUI works on Windows, it refuses to launch on AmigaOS 3 (no errors given, just starts and immediately shuts down).
I narrowed this down to the amount of HTMLview widgets in my GUI: it seems that if I put more than 6 such widgets in the XML, it stops working on AmigaOS. I commented out the additional ones I had (which are under different vgroups) and it started launching again. If I enable them, it goes back to refusing to start.

Is this a known issue, is it related to the HTMLview component itself, or RapaGUI?
I'm not sure if there's a newer version of HTMLview either, as the one I have still complains that it's "old' when starting up for the first time, but I haven't been able to find a newer one.

I might have to redesign the GUI if that's a limitation that can't be fixed, and perhaps re-use existing HTMLview components instead of having multiple. But then I'd need to store their content back and forth, as the user switches from one GUI element to another, which doesn't seem ideal.
evil

Re: HTMLview on AmigaOS

Post by evil »

AFAIR the HTMLview-Gadget remains on the OS you use. On AmigaOS its the MUI-Gadget HTMLView. On other platforms it uses different ways.
As the htmlview-Gadget of MUI is pretty outdatet, you shouldn't expect to much of it!

On Android for example, an app I made, runs quite fine. On AmigaOS4 the very same add didn't run at all.

Best regards

George
James

Post by James »

The HTMLview 13.4 archive contains an old version of HTMLview.mcc (12.5b) for OS3, there is no 13.4 for OS3 - the newest version is 12.6 available here:

https://aminet.net/package/text/hyper/MCC_HTMLview
midwan

Post by midwan »

James wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:52 am The HTMLview 13.4 archive contains an old version of HTMLview.mcc (12.5b) for OS3, there is no 13.4 for OS3 - the newest version is 12.6 available here:

https://aminet.net/package/text/hyper/MCC_HTMLview
The interesting thing is, that Aminet version is supposed to be v12.6, but the actual class version is 12.5 (same one I already had). :)
James

Post by James »

Sorry, should have checked that archive. :oops:

You can get the 12.6 update here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031113203 ... /HTMLview/
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

https://github.com/amiga-mui/htmlview has the latest sources in C++ (not just C).
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
midwan

Post by midwan »

I've tried all the versions of HTMLview I could find, but I'm still having issues, I'm afraid.

Besides the multiple widgets issue mentioned above, I also seem to have problems setting the contents of the widget.
This works fine on Windows for example:

Code: Select all

moai.Set("html_notifications", "contents", content)
But when I run the same applet on AmigaOS, with MUI 5 and the various versions of HTMLView (2 on Aminet, plus the 12.6 update found in the link above, they all behave the same), the whole application becomes unresponsive - cannot even close it, widgets no longer respond, etc. And no contents are shown in the widget, of course.

It would be good to have some sort of debug information, to better understand what went wrong here... :-/
midwan

Post by midwan »

After more testing, I figured out a few bits more.
It seems that HTMLview does not work with MUI 5 nor MUI 4! I had to go back to MUI 3.9 to see any content in there... :-(

Not sure how problematic this will be with other components, since I recall some parts of RapaGUI require MUI 4 to render properly. But in any case, this looks like an HTMLview specific bug, I guess it needs an update to work with newer MUI versions.
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Did you try recompiling from source using GCC?
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
midwan

Post by midwan »

SamuraiCrow wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:08 pm Did you try recompiling from source using GCC?
I did a quick test, with bebbo's GCC 6 (using Docker), but HTMLview failed to compile for the OS3 target with errors. I didn't spend more time on it yet, we'll see if I can figure out what's wrong with it. There's apparently no specific documentation regarding compiling it, and what dependencies it might have besides what's included in the repo.