Recommended video format

Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
ocean77

Recommended video format

Post by ocean77 »

I am not happy with the performance of the .mp4 format in my emulated 68k environment. Even when the project is exported to the host system (Linux 64bit) it seems a little bit more choppy than just playing it in a native media player.

So, what would be a recommended file format to use (especially on 68k emulated) with a nice balance between performance and file size?
SamuraiCrow

Re: Recommended video format

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Which screenmode? If truecolor, see about YAFA, if planar see if you can scrounge a copy of MovieSetter. The PC compatible formats almost invariably are CPU intensive and do nothing for Amiga 68k.
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

SamuraiCrow wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:38 pm Which screenmode? If truecolor, see about YAFA, if planar see if you can scrounge a copy of MovieSetter. The PC compatible formats almost invariably are CPU intensive and do nothing for Amiga 68k.
Yafa definitely sounds interesting, can't find much information about it though. Something about a program called Wildfire?
I use true color at the moment, but I could go down to 256, possibly even 32 or 64 if the palette is optimized. I tried animated gif, but the file size is huge.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

If MP4 playback is very slow on 68k, try to use the FPU version of the avcodec.hwp plugin. This should speed things up a lot because I think the MP4 decoder uses floating point math a lot.
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:06 pm If MP4 playback is very slow on 68k, try to use the FPU version of the avcodec.hwp plugin. This should speed things up a lot because I think the MP4 decoder uses floating point math a lot.
I'll try. Seems like these plugins are done a little different on the Amiga platform than on Linux. Where exactly are they stored once installed? There's an error when trying to link them, and how do I know if the fpu specific one is being used?
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

Okay. So I didn't know you could manually copy the plugins over. Used the installer, but although it reports success the plugin directory contains only a .dummy file. The fpu executable still won't recognize that they are there though.
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

So when I try to make an executable I get this:
Which would indicate everything went fine. But when I try to run the app I get this:

In the editor itself I see no noticeable difference in playback speed, so I thought an executable would give a more proper indication of actual speed.
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

If you converted to AnimGIF but the file was huge suggests you don't need audio at all. As far as animation formats work, try APNG. The file might be big but it won't have an audio track like MP4 or Ogg Theora. This should relieve some processor strain.

Also note that Hollywood Player has its own plugin directory independent of Hollywood itself.
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.