Designer Crashes

Report any Designer bugs here
deaddisk

Re: Designer Crashes

Post by deaddisk »

deaddisk wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 pm Hi - good tip, now I have deleted all the files and there is no crash now. But how do I get the whole thing to work with the addons now? :)

My bet is the XMP plugin because it adds gazillions of sound formats to Hollywood. From the source code:

All the extensions of those formats will then end up in the file requester when opening a sound file in Designer so there is going to be a rather long pattern string for the file requester. AmiKit is probably full of patches to replace several core constituents of AmigaOS and they probably also replace asl requesters and the replacement patch probably doesn't check if the target buffer is big enough for the pattern string and it just copies it, thereby trashing memory and making Designer go belly up.

That's just my theory because I can't reproduce the problem on any of my "clean" AmigaOS installations. I'd guess this is caused by some AmiKit patches and it's not a Designer bug...
You are right, if I remove the plugin "XMP", there is no more crash. Thanks a lot for your help! :)
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

Had the same problem. Thanks for the work-around. :)
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

ocean77 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:21 am Had the same problem. Thanks for the work-around. :)
Are you also on AmiKit?
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:15 pm Are you also on AmiKit?
Yes. Latest release.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Ok, so this is caused by a buggy patch from the 90s called MagicASL that is used by AmiKit. I've tried it on my clean OS 3.9 installation and as soon as MagicASL is active, I get the very same crash. As I described earlier, it's very likely that MagicASL doesn't check for buffer overrun before copying Designer's very long pattern string to its own buffer, thus trashing memory. So this crash is not a Designer bug.