Designer Crashes

Report any Designer bugs here
deaddisk

Designer Crashes

Post by deaddisk »

I have the Designer (latest version) running on AmiKit XE. The demos etc. run without problems. When I create my own presentation and want to add sound/music to an image, Designer crashes with the following message:

Can anyone help me? Many thanks in advance!

Regards

airsoftsoftwair

Re: Designer Crashes

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Please post the exact steps needed to reproduce this. Then I can check what's wrong there.
deaddisk

Post by deaddisk »

Hello,

here is a short Video for you:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/q0u4n0z9 ... h.mp4/file
airsoftsoftwair

Can't reproduce it here on WinUAE with OS 3.9. Are you using the normal 68020 version of Designer or the FPU version?
deaddisk

Post by deaddisk »

The normal Version (I mean, it was the top option)
airsoftsoftwair

Can you try to delete all plugins from LIBS:Hollywood and see if it makes a difference?
deaddisk

Post by deaddisk »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:12 am Can you try to delete all plugins from LIBS:Hollywood and see if it makes a difference?
Hi - good tip, now I have deleted all the files and there is no crash now. But how do I get the whole thing to work with the addons now? :)
jPV

Post by jPV »

deaddisk wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 pm
airsoftsoftwair wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:12 am Can you try to delete all plugins from LIBS:Hollywood and see if it makes a difference?
Hi - good tip, now I have deleted all the files and there is no crash now. But how do I get the whole thing to work with the addons now? :)
Put them back one by one and let us know which one triggers the crash?
tolkien

Post by tolkien »

I find that iconic plugin crash Designer 4.0 under MorphOS. Perhaps that is the fault one.
airsoftsoftwair

tolkien wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:38 pm I find that iconic plugin crash Designer 4.0 under MorphOS. Perhaps that is the fault one.
As can be seen from the video, the OP uses Designer 6.0.
deaddisk wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 pm Hi - good tip, now I have deleted all the files and there is no crash now. But how do I get the whole thing to work with the addons now? :)
My bet is the XMP plugin because it adds gazillions of sound formats to Hollywood. From the source code:

Code: Select all

hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "FastTracker II", NULL, "xm", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Scream Tracker", NULL, "stm", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Scream Tracker", NULL, "s3m", 0, 0);						
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "OctaMED", NULL, "med", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Oktalyzer", NULL, "okt", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Composer 669", NULL, "669", 0, 0);							
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Impulse Tracker", NULL, "it", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Ultra Tracker", NULL, "ult", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Liquid Tracker", NULL, "liq", 0, 0);				
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Oktalyzer", NULL, "okt", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Funktracker", NULL, "fnk", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Farandole Composer", NULL, "far", 0, 0);							
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Imago Orpheus", NULL, "imf", 0, 0);				
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Digitrakker", NULL, "mdl", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Multitracker", NULL, "mtm", 0, 0);				
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Poly Tracker", NULL, "ptm", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Real Tracker", NULL, "rtm", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Ice Tracker", NULL, "mtn", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "Quadra Composer", NULL, "emod", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 4.0", NULL, "p40", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 4.0a", NULL, "p40a", 0, 0);			
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 4.1", NULL, "p41", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 4.1a", NULL, "p41", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 5.0", NULL, "p50", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 5.0a", NULL, "p50a", 0, 0);												
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 6.0", NULL, "p60", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 6.0a", NULL, "p60a", 0, 0);			
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 6.1", NULL, "p61", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "The Player 6.1a", NULL, "p61a", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "NoisePacker", NULL, "np", 0, 0);	
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "NoisePacker 2", NULL, "np2", 0, 0);																			
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "NoisePacker 3", NULL, "np3", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "NoisePacker", NULL, "np", 0, 0);
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "ProRunner", NULL, "pru", 0, 0);			
hwcl->SysBase->hw_RegisterFileType(self, HWFILETYPE_SOUND, "ProRunner 2", NULL, "pru2", 0, 0);
All the extensions of those formats will then end up in the file requester when opening a sound file in Designer so there is going to be a rather long pattern string for the file requester. AmiKit is probably full of patches to replace several core constituents of AmigaOS and they probably also replace asl requesters and the replacement patch probably doesn't check if the target buffer is big enough for the pattern string and it just copies it, thereby trashing memory and making Designer go belly up.

That's just my theory because I can't reproduce the problem on any of my "clean" AmigaOS installations. I'd guess this is caused by some AmiKit patches and it's not a Designer bug...