Hollywood extension for Visual Studio Code (hw4vsc) released

Forum for discussion about the Windows IDE of Hollywood
Clyde

Re: Hollywood extension for Visual Studio Code (hw4vsc) released

Post by Clyde »

First, it is great to hear that you like the extension (and @mrupp, thanks for your help).

About the function list: That is a feature I am currently implementing. Better said, it is already implemented and mrupp did already some great tests. I plan to release this feature soon so you will get the update automatically when you open Visual Studio Code.

About this extension you found: I don't know this one but the code you posted are called "Regular Expressions". But anyway, you don't need to fiddle around with that as my extension will support it soon.

Cheers
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Ah, good. I will wait for your extension then. Eagerly waiting for it, I am already using Visual Studio Code and Hollywood IDE at same.

I code on Visual Studio Code side, but when I need to find some function I go to Hollywood IDE to check the functions list. With this extension of yours I can avoid this trouble.

One feature wish if it is up to you to do. On Hollywood IDE when you write one of the reserved commands, like "function, if, endif", it will automatically change letters to big ones when needed. As an example "function" becomes "Function".

Visual Studio Code however doesn't do that, which wouldn't matter otherwise, but if I write "function" then it wont color it, it only colors it if I write it "Function". Hence it would be nice if Visual Studio Code could change those letters automatically to caption/non-captions when it comes to reserved commands.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Hm, this should work already. Maybe it is just in my current dev build? But I am quite sure it used to work before. I will have a look at this. But it definitely works in the current dev build.
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

I am happy to announce that I just released a new version of the extension (version 8.0.4).

The main things that were added:

- Go to definition of variables, constants, and functions in the current file
- Go to symbol (variables, constants, functions) and show all of those symbols in the outline view and breadcrump view

Here you can see part of the functionallity in action:

Go to definition

Go to symbol

You can find more information on the Github page or in the Marketplace (https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... definition)

I want to especially thank mrupp for is great help!

Next I will focus on Hollywood 9 support.
tolkien

Post by tolkien »

Fantastic. Will try later. Thanks so much mate!
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

I been eagerly waiting for this, finally I can see the functions.

But one question, right now it shoes in that outline all the functions as well as variables, any way I can disable the variables from showing up for I couldn't figure it out when I tried.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

@tolkien: You're welcome! Hope it is of help for you.

@Bugala: I am glad you like. No, you can not disable showing all the variables. But I think I could implement that; but be aware that this would also affect the Breadcrump view and the "Go to symbol" functionality. It would be disabled there, too. It just either all or nothing.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

I actually didnt get the beadcrumb view to work at all, I have no idea what that even means. I think it might have to do with me having had another extension that seems to having been trying to use the breadcrumb, so even i disabled that one I still got nothing seeable, also didn't look much since my main interest was in seeing functions and when I saw the functions, I didn't have much interest in trying to even find out what that breadcrumb means.

Anyway, noticed that I can filter them based upon type or was it category or what, and then all the functions show up first, so this will work already well enough and gives me the additional bonus of being able to check variables too if I want to.

This is great extension!

Oh yeah, one thing by the way, when using this F12 to get to jump to the function, it doesn't recognise Functions of Instances.

Code: Select all

myOOP = {}
Function myOOP:NewInstance()
	o = {}
	SetMetaTable(o, self)
	self.__index = self
	return(o)
EndFunction

Function myOOP:SomeFunction()
return
EndFunction

newOOPInstance = MyOOP:NewInstance()
newOOPInstance:SomeFunction()
now when I use F12 on newOOPInstance:SomeFunction, it doesn't recognise it, however, the Function list (which is more important) does show it and I can also use the list of function to jump to it, so not really an issue, just pointing out in case it is an easy fix.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Hi Bugala,

thanks for your feedback.

The Breadcrump view is above your code editor, see here:

Hm, your example with instance functions works here. It does not work when I press F12 while over "MyOOP", but it works, when I place the cursor inside of "NewInstance()" (or press Ctrl plus mouse click):

You have to click the images!

Maybe you really got some problems with other extensions? Do you have the chance to install VSC on another computer and just install the Hollywood extension?
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

The open source versions of VS Code work well with your plugin on Linux.
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.