[25 Jan 2010] First impressions of Hollywood

Contains all messages from the Hollywood mailing list between 01/2006 and 08/2012
Arnljot

[25 Jan 2010] First impressions of Hollywood

Post by Arnljot »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:18:54 -0000

First off I'm really impressed with the software.

It's great to use, and I'm proud we still have this level of quality software for our amiga compatible platforms!

So then to some points I've observed so far:

1) Music support Hollywood currently supports MP3, I'd like to see the software include LGPL ogg vorbis code so that it could support ogg files too. If we like to distribute Hollywood written software in some scale a MP3 license have to be paid. A game license is for example 2500 USD.

2) Keycode/keyfile support So far Hollywood doesn't help you out to "DRM" your software or otherwise copy-protect. It would be great to have api commands to verify a keyfile or keycode so that software can be copy protected.

3) Internet support. It would be cool if Hollywood had a "wget-like" api to open URLs and download content to enhance already distributed software.

4) Db builder in Designer Designer should have an option to make filepaths into a db file, so that they are ready to be embedded during compiling.

I know I have more ideas, but I've only played around with the software for a few days, so I'd like to get to know the API better before I make suggestions - so that I don't get a RTFM reply ;-)

One thing though, when making my own "presentations" in Designer I get a screen mode requester when I try to run them. And then it fails with that I cannot use a palette screen. I'm running under AmiKit/WinUAE and I only have Picasso96 screen modes available in the requester.

Kind regards, Arnljot
Bugala

[25 Jan 2010] Re: First impressions of Hollywood

Post by Bugala »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:51:46 -0000
1) Music support Hollywood currently supports MP3, I'd like to see the software include LGPL ogg vorbis code so that it could support ogg files too. If we like to distribute Hollywood written software in some scale a MP3 license have to be paid. A game license is for example 2500 USD.
You mean that if i make professional game and use MP3s, i need to pay 2 500 USD?

didnt know that, if that is so.

Could you please post the link for more information about this, including the place to pay that sum.
3) Internet support. It would be cool if Hollywood had a "wget-like" api to open URLs and download content to enhance already distributed software.
There is already possibility to open URLs in Hollywood4.5, and TCP/IP stuff are on their way too i suppose. At least thats what im waiting for very much to get to make some internet multiplayer games.
One thing though, when making my own "presentations" in Designer I get a screen mode requester when I try to run them. And then it fails with that I cannot use a palette screen. I'm running under AmiKit/WinUAE and I only have Picasso96 screen modes available in the requester.
With Hollywood.40 i had no problem choosing full screen, but when updated to Hollywood 4.5 saem thing happened to me, that im not gettin Amikits WINUAE to run them on full screen anymore. (bring that requester then complains)

However, go to Projects/Properties and choose display tab and there "Run in window" in designer and it works fine.
Arnljot

[25 Jan 2010] Re: Re: First impressions of Hollywood

Post by Arnljot »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:59:19 +0100
Could you please post the link for more information about this, including the place to pay that sum.
http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

It's all there. Quite depressing from a fiscal poit of view. But with ogg support it would all go away.
There is already possibility to open URLs in Hollywood4.5, and TCP/IP stuff are on their way too i suppose. At least thats what im waiting for very much to get to make some internet multiplayer games.
Cool, like I said. I need to read the documentation closer. :-)

Kind regards, -- Arnljot www.arnljot.com
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:15:57 -0000
It's all there. Quite depressing from a fiscal poit of view. But with ogg support it would all go away.
I just became fan of OGG support.

Good thing however was that i noticed in that link: "If less than 5 000 copies are distributed, then no license fees are needed to pay" (took that from memory)

I just wonder how do they calculate that, that if i make freeware game and its downloaded 5 000 times, do i then need to pay that?

I sent them email about that. I will post that answer in here when i get answer from them first.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:08:11 +0100
I just became fan of OGG support.

Good thing however was that i noticed in that link: "If less than 5 000 copies are distributed, then no license fees are needed to pay" (took that from memory)

I just wonder how do they calculate that, that if i make freeware game and its downloaded 5 000 times, do i then need to pay that?

I sent them email about that. I will post that answer in here when i get answer from them first.
Well, I'm no lawyer but from a common sensical point of view I'd say that nobody has to pay any MP3 licencing fees because Hollywood doesn't contain any MP3 decoding code at all. I guess that MP3 licencing is only required if I'd use an MP3 decoder inside Hollywood which I'm not doing. Hollywood supports MP3s through external libraries only and they are not delivered with Hollywood.

- AmigaOS: mpega.library is used but it isn't included on the Hollywood CD. It's only available on Aminet.

- Windows: DirectShow is used for MP3 playback.

- Mac OS X: CoreAudio is used for MP3 playback.

Both DirectShow & CoreAudio are OS components of Windows and Mac OS respectively, so I highly doubt that there are any licensing fees because Hollywood is really just using OS APIs.

Still, support for OGG VORBIS is planned.
Arnljot

Post by Arnljot »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:22:43 +0100

Hi, Andres

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Well, I'm no lawyer but from a common sensical point of view I'd say that nobody has to pay any MP3 licencing fees because Hollywood doesn't contain any MP3 decoding code at all. I guess that MP3 licencing is only required if I'd use an MP3 decoder inside Hollywood which I'm not doing. Hollywood supports MP3s through external libraries only and they are not delivered with Hollywood.
Unfortunately it's not only a software decoding issue.

Ref #5 of their FAQ: http://www.mp3licensing.com/help/index.html#5

So we as content creators have to pay a licensing fee because we distribute mp3 encoded content.

Our plan is to not to worry for the moment, and if we reach as many as 5.000 distributed copies. Just "shut down" distribution until we can have the application licensed. However, ogg would make this problem evapourate.
Still, support for OGG VORBIS is planned.
Awesome! Then you have the sunlight to get the MP3-Snowman-Monster evapourate! :)

airsoftsoftwair

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:28:01 +0100
First off I'm really impressed with the software.

It's great to use, and I'm proud we still have this level of quality software for our amiga compatible platforms!

So then to some points I've observed so far:

2) Keycode/keyfile support So far Hollywood doesn't help you out to "DRM" your software or otherwise copy-protect. It would be great to have api commands to verify a keyfile or keycode so that software can be copy protected.
Hollywood has a nice DOS library so you can implement your own keyfile architecture :)
That's planned of course.
4) Db builder in Designer Designer should have an option to make filepaths into a db file, so that they are ready to be embedded during compiling.

I know I have more ideas, but I've only played around with the software for a few days, so I'd like to get to know the API better before I make suggestions - so that I don't get a RTFM reply ;-)

Hmm, weird. It works here. Which AmiKit/WinUAE version are you using?
Arnljot

Post by Arnljot »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:39:46 +0100
Hollywood has a nice DOS library so you can implement your own keyfile architecture :)
I'll look into that. Does anyone have pointers to articles one can read to get an introduction/tutorial for algorithms?

I think a keycode is sufficient. But a keyfile would be okay too. We plan to sell out game, so we need some kind of copy protection, but this is something I have no experience with.
One thing though, when making my own "presentations" in Designer I get a

Hmm, weird. It works here. Which AmiKit/WinUAE version are you using?
AmiKit: 1.5.9, one install is based on AmigaForever. I reinstalled based on OS3.9 bb1, bb2 and "Install patches".

WinUAE, I've tried 1.6.1, 2.0 and 2.0.2b5. They all give me this error.

airsoftsoftwair

[28 Jan 2010] Re: First impressions of Hollywood

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:47:38 +0100
I'll look into that. Does anyone have pointers to articles one can read to get an introduction/tutorial for algorithms?
Better invent your own one. If you use a generic one, it will be easier for crackers :)
AmiKit: 1.5.9, one install is based on AmigaForever. I reinstalled based on OS3.9 bb1, bb2 and "Install patches".

WinUAE, I've tried 1.6.1, 2.0 and 2.0.2b5. They all give me this error.
Ok, I can now reproduce it with AmiKit. But it's not a Hollywood bug. AmiKit comes with a myriad of patches (AfA OS et al.) that can lead to a lot of trouble. On my clean WinUAE OS3.9 installation it's working fine. Under AmiKit, the screen mode requester always returns 2 as the depth... which would be 4 colors, so that is why Hollywood is complaining. I've seen this bug before under AROS, so it's clearly an AfA issue. Just use Hollywood on a clean OS3.9 installation and there will be no such problems :)
Mazze

[28 Jan 2010] Re: First impressions of Hollywood

Post by Mazze »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:56:49 +0100
Under AmiKit, the screen mode requester always returns 2 as the depth... which would be 4 colors, so that is why Hollywood is complaining. I've seen this bug before under AROS, so it's clearly an AfA issue.
Is this bug still available under AROS?

Regards, Matthias