Hollywood on different systems speed comparison...

Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
Tuxedo

Hollywood on different systems speed comparison...

Post by Tuxedo »

Hi!
I tryed LoView under MOS 2.7 and AmigaOS4.1 on my machine(Pegasos2 2GB G4@1131) and I noticed a weird thing...

Loading big pics (I tryed with some 10mpx pictures), the loading times was really different...

I get 1.628 on overall from about 10 loadings of the same pics(doing the test by go forward and reward 10 times) on AmigaOS4.1 Update3(but on Upd2 I get the same).

On the MOS 2.7 install I get an overall time of 1.33 so about 20% faster...

Any idea on why?

Maybe Hollywood have some different optimizations on different system? Or maybe only a better OS resource usage and so no Hollywood player related?

I repeated the test in RAM: and on the same SFS volume but the times was quite equal so no matter of filesystem I thnik.

Thank you.
Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Hollywood on different systems speed comparison...

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

The MorphOS version doesn't use any optimizations which could cause this so the only explanation is that the MorphOS core components are faster than their OS4 counterparts.
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Thank you!
I will report that on the AmigaOS4 support forum to see what they say about that...
ArtBlink

Post by ArtBlink »

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Nice benchs but...plz write it in english... :P

Howeve I think that lower numers was better right? And the PEgasos2 results under AmigaOS4.x was REALLY BAD :(

Any idea on why? The memory allocation problem stated in another thread some time ago can be the only reply?

And....I can post the benchs(maybe in nenglish) on the AmigaOS4.x official forum to see what OS4 devs reply on that?

Than kyou!
ArtBlink

Post by ArtBlink »

Hello tuxedo,

Right, the lower number is better.

Yes, you can use it ;-)

i think you can tranlaste them easily
ArtBlink

Post by ArtBlink »

Well, i think hollywood engine on AmigaOS is less optimized than morphos version. Hollywood is code with LUA and LUA engine is 30 less speed than C engine. I think, to accelerate our engine, we must find technique to transfert function write in C to hollywood prg with Arexx port.

I try, but i haven't got find the technique at this time :(

For exemple, my scrolling is speeder on Amiga 1230 (in Amos) than MicroAone (Hollywood)
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

but as Andreas spoke above no opts was in MOS vs AOS Hollywood player...

I think the best way to get speedups was some sort of Hollywood JIT interpreter...or a compilation of the code instead that simply linking it to a player...

The problem was also much bigger since our Amiga ppc compatible(MOS and AOS) wasnt so fast as expeceted for a 2011 PC...and your scroller was the perfect example unfortunately :(
ArtBlink

Post by ArtBlink »

I have talk with good C french Amiga coder, and he say this:

he think display engine write picture or brush or layer pixel by pixel, so it is the only explication that he found. Hollywood 2D engine is really too slow, and AOS 4.1 update 3 don't accelerate all of my hollywood programm.

I think, the priority of hollywood is optimisation of 2d engine, because it is anormal that all of my hollywood programm on my microAone are slower than all Amos programme on A1200!!!

Hollywood langage is very simple and fun to code but it is too slow. It's a pity :-(
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

It could also be that fetching Intuition events is slower on OS4 than on MorphOS. Hollywood fetches these events quite often to stay fully responsive. If OS4 is slower here than MorphOS this would be an explanation for the significant speed differences between both systems.