[03 Jun 2009] Possible bug in SetFont

Contains all messages from the Hollywood mailing list between 01/2006 and 08/2012
Allanon

[03 Jun 2009] Possible bug in SetFont

Post by Allanon »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:25:35 -0000

Hello Andreas, a LookHere user has reported that <sometimes> when starting LookHere he get an error when the application try to open the font used by the application (Helvetica 11), sometimes all runs fine without warnings. Here is a Snoopy log he has captured:

I tried copying it to a HD partition (instead of RAM) but got the same problem . Here's the last bit that Snoopy sees before the error requester:

Code: Select all

00114 : LookHere : FAIL = Lock("LookHere.prefs",SHARED) [129uS]
00115 : LookHere : o.k. = Lock("Languages/English.Language",SHARED) [129uS]
00116 : LookHere : o.k. = Open("Languages/English.Language",OLD) = [0x16D2FA50] [157uS]
00117 : LookHere : o.k. = GetFilePosition(0x16D2FA50) = 0 [55uS]
00118 : LookHere : o.k. = ChangeFilePosition(0x16D2FA50,0,OFFSET_END) [68uS]
00119 : LookHere : o.k. = GetFilePosition(0x16D2FA50) = 2577 [40uS]
00120 : LookHere : o.k. = ChangeFilePosition(0x16D2FA50,0,OFFSET_BEGINNING) [41uS]
00121 : LookHere : o.k. = GetFilePosition(0x16D2FA50) = 0 [118uS]
00122 : LookHere : o.k. = ChangeFilePosition(0x16D2FA50,2577,OFFSET_BEGINNING) [76uS]
00123 : LookHere : o.k. = GetFilePosition(0x16D2FA50) = 2577 [49uS]
00124 : LookHere : o.k. = ChangeFilePosition(0x16D2FA50,0,OFFSET_BEGINNING) [44uS]
00125 : LookHere : CurrentDir("<untracked>")
00126 : LookHere : CurrentDir("RAM_Disk:LookHere")
00127 : LookHere : FAIL = Open("RAM_Disk:LookHere/Helvetica.font",OLD) = [0x00000000] [163uS]
00128 : LookHere : o.k. = Open("RAM_Disk:LookHere/Fonts/Helvetica.font",OLD) = [0x16D2FA30] [174uS]
00129 : LookHere : o.k. = Open("RAM_Disk:LookHere/Fonts/Helvetica.font",OLD) = [0x16D2FA30] [170uS]
00130 : LookHere : CurrentDir("LookHere")
00131 : LookHere : o.k. = Lock("SYS:Prefs/Presets/Requester",SHARED) [221uS]
00132 : LookHere : CurrentDir("SYS:Prefs/Presets/Requester")
00133 : LookHere : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("datatypes.library",44) [36uS]
00134 : LookHere : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("dos.library",0) [8uS]
00135 : LookHere : o.k. = Lock("Error",SHARED) [121uS]
00136 : LookHere : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("datatypes.library",44) [21uS]
00137 : ENV : FAIL = Lock("ENVARC:classes/datatypes",SHARED) [97uS]
00138 : LookHere : FAIL = GetVar("classes/datatypes/picture/DitherHiColour",0x46D5F1AC,10,0x00000000) [682uS]
00139 : LookHere : CurrentDir("LookHere")
He has a SAM440ep + OS4.1, I've the same hardware and LookHere never showed this kind of problems... maybe is something related with SetFont?

You can read the full thread here: http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/vi ... mpost35765

Regards, Fabio
critonsgate

[04 Jun 2009] Re : Possible bug in SetFont

Post by critonsgate »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 4 Jun 2009 06:13:54 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all, I have the same problem with SetFont, if the font is not installed on my system, the function don't work well (it's not working too on windows). It's maybe my inexperience but i'm waiting for an answer.

Ps : I've made up a first article for AmigaPower about Hollywood 4, I will complete it by a second article describing the different methods of the framework with tutorials.

Thanks for the good job Andreas, you're too strong :-)
airsoftsoftwair

[14 Jun 2009] Re: Possible bug in SetFont

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:57:58 +0200
Hello Andreas, a LookHere user has reported that <sometimes> when starting LookHere he get an error when the application try to open the font used by the application (Helvetica 11), sometimes all runs fine without warnings. Here is a Snoopy log he has captured:
Hmm... I tested it here on Sam & OS 4.1 and it works fine. Hard to guess what's working wrong there without being able to reproduce it. As the problem doesn't always appear, I'd suppose that it's not a bug in Hollywood. This is also underlined by the fact that the font can actually be opened (can be seen in the SnoopDOS log). It could be a problem in OS4's diskfont.library because AFAIK diskfont employs font caching and maybe there arises a conflict because there are two different versions of helvetica.font in memory (first one in FONTS: and the second one in LookHere's PROGDIR:).
airsoftsoftwair

[14 Jun 2009] Re: Re : Possible bug in SetFont

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:01:30 +0200
Hi all, I have the same problem with SetFont, if the font is not installed on my system, the function don't work well
...which is completely normal behaviour of course :)
(it's not working too on windows). It's maybe my inexperience but i'm waiting for an answer.
Windows & Mac version of Hollywood 4.0 currently have an issue because the font is first searched in the system, then in PROGDIR. This could lead to bad looks with SCUILib because Hollywood will use the Windows version of Helvetica which is actually a TrueType font. However, this issue will be fixed in the next update :)
Ps : I've made up a first article for AmigaPower about Hollywood 4, I will complete it by a second article describing the different methods of the framework with tutorials.
Merci... j'espère le lire bientôt :)
Allanon

[15 Jun 2009] Re: Possible bug in SetFont

Post by Allanon »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:15:32 -0000
Hmm... I tested it here on Sam & OS 4.1 and it works fine. Hard to guess what's working wrong there without being able to reproduce it. As the problem doesn't always appear, I'd suppose that it's not a bug in Hollywood. This is also underlined by the fact that the font can actually be opened (can be seen in the SnoopDOS log). It could be a problem in OS4's diskfont.library because AFAIK diskfont employs font caching and maybe there arises a conflict because there are two different versions of helvetica.font in memory (first one in FONTS: and the second one in LookHere's PROGDIR:).
I understand... well, do you know if exists a method to flush manually the font's cache, maybe this can be a workaround for this problem.

Greets, Fabio
airsoftsoftwair

[15 Jun 2009] Re: Re: Possible bug in SetFont

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 15 Jun 2009 22:19:49 +0200
I understand... well, do you know if exists a method to flush manually the font's cache, maybe this can be a workaround for this problem.
AFAIK that's not possible... but we also don't know if it's really a font cache problem. I did not manage to reproduce the problem here, although I used the helvetica in FONTS: first, and then the one inside PROGDIR. It worked fine always... I'd need more details in order to check if this is really a Hollywood bug.

But here's the good news: It'll probably be gone with the next version of Hollywood anyway because the next version of Hollywood will solve all your font worries because it will finally allow font linking into executables on all platforms... so you no longer have to include them separately. Just link them into the executable and voila :)
Allanon

[15 Jun 2009] Re: Possible bug in SetFont

Post by Allanon »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 15 Jun 2009 22:13:17 -0000
AFAIK that's not possible... but we also don't know if it's really a font cache problem. I did not manage to reproduce the problem here, although I used the helvetica in FONTS: first, and then the one inside PROGDIR. It worked fine always... I'd need more details in order to check if this is really a Hollywood bug.

But here's the good news: It'll probably be gone with the next version of Hollywood anyway because the next version of Hollywood will solve all your font worries because it will finally allow font linking into executables on all platforms... so you no longer have to include them separately. Just link them into the executable and voila :)
Wow!! That's really a great news!!! :)
lazi

[16 Jun 2009] Re: Possible bug in SetFont

Post by lazi »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:17:57 +0100

Hello Andreas

I did started a script in the year 2006 and holded the release to wait for the ability to make it multiplatform, then I holded it to wait outline font support for other platforms, then this time I should wait for the next release because embedded font support will be the heaven for this script.

Arrrrgh... Andreas, stop it! :)
airsoftsoftwair

[17 Jun 2009] Re: Re: Possible bug in SetFont

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:45:02 +0200
Ok, I've been able to reproduce this now and it's definitely not a Hollywood bug. It seems like the OS4 diskfont.library is a little bit broken and gets easily confused if there are two different copies of the same font in memory. I've reported the issue to the OS4 team but it'll probably not be fixed too soon because their diskfont.library developer has vanished from earth since some months AFAIK :/

However- with the cool new font embedding feature of the next Hollywood update this bug won't matter at all because for embedded fonts, custom code is used. So if you want to be on the safe side, just embed your fonts and it will work even with a broken diskfont.library :)
Allanon

[18 Jun 2009] Re: Possible bug in SetFont

Post by Allanon »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:30:27 -0000
Ok, I've been able to reproduce this now and it's definitely not a Hollywood bug. It seems like the OS4 diskfont.library is a little bit broken and gets easily confused if there are two different copies of the same font in memory. I've reported the issue to the OS4 team but it'll probably not be fixed too soon because their diskfont.library developer has vanished from earth since some months AFAIK :/

However- with the cool new font embedding feature of the next Hollywood update this bug won't matter at all because for embedded fonts, custom code is used. So if you want to be on the safe side, just embed your fonts and it will work even with a broken diskfont.library :)
Thank you for investigating on this issue Andreas :) I will wait for this cool feature!!

Regards, Fabio