Animation Appearing on Workbench Screen

Discuss any general programming issues here
NathanH

Animation Appearing on Workbench Screen

Post by NathanH »

Hi,

I'm trying to make an animation appear to walk on the Workbench screen. I've set a BGPic to black with Transparency=0 and each gif frame background is also set to black with Transparency=0. I've tried both DisplayAnimFrame() and DisplayBrushPart() but the entire animation is transparent in both cases. The only way I've gotten the effect I want is to make each frame into a BGPic and to run DisplayBGPic() repeatedly. Unfortunately there is excessive flashing so it looks terrible. Is there any other way to do this or is this not possible? Thanks.

NathanH
Juan Carlos

Re: Animation Appearing on Workbench Screen

Post by Juan Carlos »

Hollywood has't this feature unfortunately, I tryed to make one workbench pet too with animations but the trasparente option is only with backgrounds and the francés are shower with the size of original background in one only place on the workbench screen.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Yes, it's not supported. I'm not even sure if it's technically possible on OS4 and MorphOS at all. Is there any program which shows animations on Workbench screen on OS4 or MorphOS using window transparency? I don't know any...
jPV

Post by jPV »

Maybe you could get an acceptable result if you don't use transparent window, but normal software rendered borderless window and then use GrabDesktop() for the area you want to draw (no need to grab the whole screen) and then draw the grabbed background and your animation on the display, and repeat that for each frame?
jPV

Post by jPV »

...or maybe not, because then you grab your own window too. And if you close&open your own window to get a grab without it, then you get the flashing again. One option is to grab the whole screen before displaying your stuff on it, but then it looks bad if the underneath desktop changes while you're running your program...
NathanH

Post by NathanH »

Thanks for the help guys but I think this project will need to go on the backburner.

NathanH
NathanH

Post by NathanH »

Thanks jPV! I am using your suggestion with a frame-worth buffer in front and it works well. I have noticed, however, that even using PubScreen="Workbench Screen" tag in GrabDesktop() it will grab the frontmost screen instead if I bring forward and back another screen.

NathanH