possibility to add own commands to highlights in IDE

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
Bugala

possibility to add own commands to highlights in IDE

Post by Bugala »

When I move the cursor over a command in IDE, I will at bottom of IDE window see description of the command.

As an example, I move the cursor on top of SetFont, I will see the following:
SetFont(font$,size[,table]) -- change the current font

This is extremely useful and speeds up coding greatly.

However, I would also like to be able to add my own functions to this same highlight system.

There could be for example a system where I could at the beginning of code write:
#AddCommandToHighlight MySetFont, "MySetFont(font$,size[,table]) -- change the current font with mysetfont"

and now when I would move the cursor over "MySetFont" function, I could then see a similar highlight which would read:
MySetFont(font$,size[,table]) -- change the current font with mysetfont

Could this be done to the IDE someway?

And specifically in way that when I load my code or have to execute it once first, I could after that see those highlights until I close Hollywood again at which point they would be erased from memory since I might have same-named command in two different projects where function differs, and therefore I don't want them to be universal but rather that they are read every time I want to use them.

Of course, some way to save them so I don't need to load them every time would be a nice extra feature, as long as there is a way to erase them too. This way when working on a project I could keep them in memory loaded every time Hollywood is started, but when a project is done and I move on to a next project, I could erase them from memory and start from a clean slate again.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: possibility to add own commands to highlights in IDE

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

This is already possible. Just go to the "Custom" tab of the settings and add your keywords.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Ah, this will already help a lot.

However, documentation on how to use this is missing.

By just putting the name of a function I was able to get it highlighted, however, I couldnt figure out how to get the custom text to display in addition.

Also, not sure how to get several commands highlighted as it didnt let change the line.

Anyway, this will already help a long way, but it would be even better if I could add to the beginning of code or something that I could get those highlighted versions without needing to add them to that custom myself.
As example, lets suppose I am going to take a look at someone elses code. It would be very helpful if I could get these custom highlights without needing to add them myself, but could with "push of a button" get them there as long as the original coder have supported that option.

Another thing. Noticed from Hollywood IDE documentation this very useful "F2"-option to jump to the function declaration. However, two wishes regarding this, first one is that it didnt know how to jump to a function that was declared in another file.

Second is that while it is very useful being able to jump to that function with F2, what would make it extra useful is if there would be a button to get back to that original place.

As example, I first press F2 to see the function declaration, then i push F3 to get back to that place where I jumped from and be able to effectively continue coding. Otherwise it can take a while to find the original place again.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Bugala wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:02 am However, documentation on how to use this is missing.
I think you just need to separate them using spaces as delimiters.
Bugala wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:02 am Another thing. Noticed from Hollywood IDE documentation this very useful "F2"-option to jump to the function declaration. However, two wishes regarding this, first one is that it didnt know how to jump to a function that was declared in another file.

Second is that while it is very useful being able to jump to that function with F2, what would make it extra useful is if there would be a button to get back to that original place.

As example, I first press F2 to see the function declaration, then i push F3 to get back to that place where I jumped from and be able to effectively continue coding. Otherwise it can take a while to find the original place again.
True, but the IDE currently doesn't have a high priority here. There are dozens of things that could be added since it is obviously rather barebones but improving Hollywood instead is time spent better because you can easily integrate Hollywood into more sophisticated IDEs...
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 pm
True, but the IDE currently doesn't have a high priority here. There are dozens of things that could be added since it is obviously rather barebones but improving Hollywood instead is time spent better because you can easily integrate Hollywood into more sophisticated IDEs...
good point. I have to agree with this. Rather something to Hollywood than to IDE.