Any way to get MorphOS to 1920x1080 HD resolution?

Discuss any general programming issues here
Bugala

Any way to get MorphOS to 1920x1080 HD resolution?

Post by Bugala »

As I called some playtesters for my latest games, I found out same as before, that 1920x1080, which is HD resolution is very difficult for Amigalike OSes.

X1000 was at least able to handle this resolution fine it seems, but MorphOS testers seem to have problem with the resolution.

Therefore, is there anything to be done that can help especially MorphOS, but others too to open 1920x1080 screen?
jPV

Re: Any way to get MorphOS to 1920x1080 HD resolution?

Post by jPV »

I guess it's mostly depending of the hardware if it's capable to display FullHD resolution, not MorphOS itself.

I've been using 1920x1080 resolution on my daily MorphOS setup for years. It's a Mac mini with 64MB graphics memory and it's been working just fine on FullHD monitors and video projectors, with both VGA and DVI.

But then I have a spare Mac mini, which only has 32MB graphics memory, and that's more picky about resolutions, and it's difficult to get to display FullHD resolution. It's more likely to succeed if you use it via VGA instead of DVI. Generally it seems that there's some improvement on graphics output side besides the memory between the very latest Mac mini compared to earlier ones.

Also my Powerbook (the latest model of them all) displays both native 1680x1050 on the internal display and 1920x1080 on an external monitor just fine. I've also heard that others are using much bigger resolutions on their G5 towers with newer graphics cards.

In some cases it also could be that MorphOS doesn't detect the monitor's display modes with DDC correctly, even though the graphics card should be able to do the wanted resolutions, and in that case you should go to MorphOS Preferences -> Monitors and configure the required display modes by yourself (+ save & reboot).
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Thanks for explaining that. I was wondering how come they have so much trouble with HD resolution while the are usually Mac hardware.

I guess I can basically stop worrying about HD resolution and just trust that in coming years more and more MorphOS users will be upgrading their hardware and hence HD resolution problem will eventually solve itself.
jPV

Post by jPV »

Of course it would be better if the game (or other program) wouldn't be hard coded to certain resolution. Laptop users can't upgrade their displays, "retro users" may want to use 4:3 displays etc :)

For example, I'm scaling and positioning graphics elements in my RNOInfoScreen according the screen resolution, so it looks the same no matter in what resolution it's used on.