Linux Executable

Discuss any general programming issues here
PEB

Linux Executable

Post by PEB »

Does a certain extension need to be added to a Hollywood executable in order for it to be run on Linux?
I've tried running an executable on Linux Mint x86, and nothing happens.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Linux Executable

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Just as on Amiga, no extension is required on Linux. But you must make sure that the file has the 'execute' permission. Otherwise it won't run. You can use the 'chmod' command to change file permissions on Linux.
PEB

Post by PEB »

I used "GNOME Commander" to set the permissions to execute, but double-clicking on the executable does nothing.
If I try "Open as administrator" I get the following error message:
"Unable to determine the program to run.
The item you selected cannot be open with administrator powers because the correct application cannot be determined."

Any ideas?
airsoftsoftwair

What does it say when you try to run it from shell? (bash, terminal etc.)
PEB

Post by PEB »

Trying to run it from the terminal gives me this error message:
"Segmentation fault"
airsoftsoftwair

Ok, segmentation fault means that something really bad is happening :) I'll try to get a live CD of Mint and see what's wrong there. I tested Hollywood on quite a lot of distros (openSUSE, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora etc.) but of course there are so many of them that it's almost impossible to test them all. Not to mention that distro updates are released all the time.
airsoftsoftwair

I just tried running Hollywood executables via the latest Linux Mint 11 GNOME Live DVD and it's just working fine. I tried the following three examples: 3DText, ImageLab, Welcome. All worked out of the box.

Do all Hollywood executables crash on your Linux or just a specific one? If that is the case, then it's not a general problem but a script specific one. If only some scripts crash on your Linux installation then please try to break the script down to the minimal code necessary to cause the "segmentation fault".

If all scripts crash on your Linux, then please provide some more details (32bit or 64bit edition? what window manager? GNOME? KDE? maybe some exotic window manager? that's probably not going to work etc.)