The compiler asks twice to overwrite

Forum for discussion about the Windows IDE of Hollywood
amyren

The compiler asks twice to overwrite

Post by amyren »

There is a minor annoyance when compiling and you want to replace a previous executable.
It will prompt you that the file already exist, and ask if you want to overwrite this.
If yes it will continue, asking about compression. Then as the last step before saving the executable, it will again prompt you about overwriting the file.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: The compiler asks twice to overwrite

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Which platform is this?
amyren

Post by amyren »

I think its a general issue, it happens both when compiling for 68k or for Windows x64. The same thing happens when creating applets as well.
lazi

Post by lazi »

I think he asks about what is the system where the compiler runs on, not the target platform.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

I assume "Windows" as amyren has posted that in "Windows IDE" ...
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
airsoftsoftwair

Ok, this is a minor nuisance which can easily be worked around by changing the following line

Code: Select all

%HWPATH %SCRIPT -compile %OUTEXE -exetype %EXEPLATFORM -debugdevice ::hwnd%IDEWINDOW
to this line:

Code: Select all

%HWPATH %SCRIPT -compile %OUTEXE -exetype %EXEPLATFORM -debugdevice ::hwnd%IDEWINDOW -overwrite
...in Settings-Hollywood-Options for compiling scripts.
amyren

Post by amyren »

Yes, that worked. Now it only asks once.
airsoftsoftwair

Ok, I won't fix this, though. The reason is that when compiling Windows executables or Hollywood applets, Hollywood will automatically add ".exe" or ".hwa" to the specified file if this extension wasn't specified. So if you choose a file named "foo" Hollywood will compile as "foo.exe" instead if you compile for Windows but the file requester might not complain because you just chose "foo" and then files could get overwritten without asking. So better ask twice than overwrite stuff unwantedly :)
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

I think the first overwrite-request comes from the file requester, the second comes from the hollywood compiler.
So if you choose a file named "foo" Hollywood will compile as "foo.exe" instead if you compile for Windows but the file requester might not complain because you just chose "foo" and then files could get overwritten without asking. So better ask twice than overwrite stuff unwantedly :)
I agree, the second one from the compiler should stay, but maybe the first one from the file requester could be turned off and that would fix it?
plouf

Post by plouf »

No since compiler time maybe ita late

Imho if you "agree" in ide ide should compile with a possible overwrite attribute
I.e
Hollywood -overwrite main.hws main.exe
Christos