Let's build a Dungeon Crawler with Hollywood-MAL!

The place for any Hollywood tutorials
Allanon

Let's build a Dungeon Crawler with Hollywood-MAL!

Post by Allanon »

Hello all!
I've started a series of articles where I will explain how I am approaching the design of a dungeon crawler entirely programmed using Hollywood, if you are interested this is the link of the first article

I'll start from the ground with the game design discussion, implementation options, and finally the code section without using any external library, just plain Hollywood :)
Bugala

Re: Let's build a Dungeon Crawler with Hollywood-MAL!

Post by Bugala »

This article serie is very intereresting to me since I have been thinking of dungeon crawler sometimes myself too, and many of my ideas have some overlapping with dungeon crawlers.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

@Bugala you will surely have fun, I have in mind a lot of nice things, but mainly I would like to introduce Hollywood and its potential to as many people as possible :)
Existing Hollywood coders could get some inspiration joining to this journey :)
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Wow, looks like an ambitious project :geek:
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Yes, it's a challenging project but I'm sure I can do it, I also hope to give a little more visibility to Hollywood :D
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

It is intetesting if you make a little engine moving the party and enemies inside of dungeon.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Hi Juan,
yes, this is the purpose of the series, at the end I want to have a game engine and a playable game will all the whistles and bells of a classic RPG Dungeon Crawler, including a small AI for the enemies, but for this specific project I'm not planning to have a party of heroes but a single character to make things a bit easier.
I'd like that all people reading the articles understand what's going on in the sources, that's why I've chosen to do not use any external libraries like the ones I've already made and use plain Hollywood.
Maybe at the end I could add more features like you suggested (a party of heroes).
jalih

Post by jalih »

Hi Allanon,

Sounds like really interesting and fun project! I nowadays program mostly in 8th programming language which is like Forth on stereoids but have been thinking about fixing my old game framework for Hollywood. The 8th programming language is not really that well suited for games (lack of hardware acceleration) but that' not stopped me from trying.

We seem to do game projects in a very different manner: You seem give more thought for data structures and game mechanics early on. The first thing I do, is to get something on screen: map, player and some game objects. At this point it doesn't need to look pretty but it's nice to have some visual input. Then I get player responding to controls and moving, add basic collision detection, give enemies some AI using state table. After that is time think about data structures and fine tuning game play.

What are you using as dungeon generator? I find Wavefunction Collapse Algorithm very interesting.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

jalih wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:45 am Hi Allanon,

Sounds like really interesting and fun project! I nowadays program mostly in 8th programming language which is like Forth on stereoids but have been thinking about fixing my old game framework for Hollywood. The 8th programming language is not really that well suited for games (lack of hardware acceleration) but that' not stopped me from trying.

We seem to do game projects in a very different manner: You seem give more thought for data structures and game mechanics early on. The first thing I do, is to get something on screen: map, player and some game objects. At this point it doesn't need to look pretty but it's nice to have some visual input. Then I get player responding to controls and moving, add basic collision detection, give enemies some AI using state table. After that is time think about data structures and fine tuning game play.

What are you using as dungeon generator? I find Wavefunction Collapse Algorithm very interesting.
Hi jalih,
yes, it's a very fun and challenging project! To be honest I've tried several time in the past to build something like this, but I've always failed because I've started with both logic & graphic output at the same time resulting in a total mess because of lack of properly data structures planning.

This time I will focus only on the game engine and the game logics, and only at the end I'll implement the graphical part :)

I'll have a look at the link about the dungeon generator asap :)