Hollywood 8: Supremacy out now!

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
DieterG

Re: Hollywood 8: Supremacy out now!

Post by DieterG »

What i want to say, its very nice to gave Hollywood 8.0.
But the thing what i not agree is to buy it for have a bugfeee version.
I found a bug in 7.1 and he solved it in version 8.0, so i must pay to have the bug removed.
The solution may be to have the Hollywood 8.0 with all new features, but also a version 7.1.1 with only bugfixes.
The second should be free, as we have already paid for the function with buying Hollywood 7.1.

The other Part is the updatepeice in relation to the new price.
The fullversion for old version was 49,- Euro, the updateprice is 39,- Euro. So the difference is to small to hold uptodate.
I think thats the reason why somebody not buy the update and wait for one or two more new versions and buy them new.
Thats bad marketing, better 29,- for update, but all buy it.
Dieter
r-tea

Post by r-tea »

Bugala wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:17 pm You do the math and you will start realising that it is well possible Hollywood might not sell more than 100 copies each version.
The way I can see it: the most of Amiga community goes through kind of "back to the roots" nowdays. They all consider Hollywood project (w/o exploring a step deeper) as Amiga NG related or (worse) Amiga emulation related.
And the community of, so called, classic amigans is (at least in my country) much, much larger than community of other Amiga related solutions.
jPV

Post by jPV »

I don't know if there are many users outside Amiga community using Hollywood, or has it got any coverage on mainstream media, but I would see it'd be important to get more users there. It doesn't matter on which platform users are and it would benefit us all. Maybe we could try to help to spread the word outside our circles? Post news suggestions of new versions to mainstream news sites, write articles to get published on mainstream sites, mags, forums, etc?

I've been thinking that an article about Hollywood would be perfect in the Skrolli magazine here in Finland. It's a generic computer culture magazine, which also has some retro and even Amiga articles inside it. Maybe me, Bugala, or someone would get it done some day? At least I mentioned news about Hollywood 8 to its editors, but let's see if they pick it anywhere... full text/article would probably have more chance to get released.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

jPV wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:48 am I don't know if there are many users outside Amiga community using Hollywood, or has it got any coverage on mainstream media, but I would see it'd be important to get more users there. It doesn't matter on which platform users are and it would benefit us all. Maybe we could try to help to spread the word outside our circles? Post news suggestions of new versions to mainstream news sites, write articles to get published on mainstream sites, mags, forums, etc?
That's a very good idea. I think I'll also need to put some effort into this concerning German media...
Ferrule Media

Post by Ferrule Media »

Thanks for your hard work updating Hollywood by adding even more amazing features!

I would urge every user to update to Hollywood 8, and new users to step forward and buy the product. This to make sure we get even more updates in the future.

As we all know the Amiga is a very small niche in the computer world nowadays. Hollywood is an even smaller niche among the existing amiga users. That fact that Hollywood has gotten this far, and is still being developed, shows how dedicated Andreas is. The countless of hours spent creating one of the last pieces of new software coming to our platform.

In my head it is easy to understand why we need to pay for the updates. This is the only way to push the development forward. Hollywood is a coding language, and it is not like new users comes rushing to sign up. It is too small of a niche product. I think most of the income is from the existing userbase willing to pay.

I use Hollywood to develop software for the dentistry market in Norway. My software is a niche-product as well. The only way I’m able to justify developing the software is because my users pays a yearly fee to use it. Even if no updates are released. So, paying for updates is perfectly normal in my world.
Ferrule Media
Espevikvn 18
5521 Haugesund
Norway
www.ferrule-media.no
airsoftsoftwair

Ferrule Media wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:43 am Thanks for your hard work updating Hollywood by adding even more amazing features!

I would urge every user to update to Hollywood 8, and new users to step forward and buy the product. This to make sure we get even more updates in the future.

As we all know the Amiga is a very small niche in the computer world nowadays. Hollywood is an even smaller niche among the existing amiga users. That fact that Hollywood has gotten this far, and is still being developed, shows how dedicated Andreas is. The countless of hours spent creating one of the last pieces of new software coming to our platform.

In my head it is easy to understand why we need to pay for the updates. This is the only way to push the development forward. Hollywood is a coding language, and it is not like new users comes rushing to sign up. It is too small of a niche product. I think most of the income is from the existing userbase willing to pay.

I use Hollywood to develop software for the dentistry market in Norway. My software is a niche-product as well. The only way I’m able to justify developing the software is because my users pays a yearly fee to use it. Even if no updates are released. So, paying for updates is perfectly normal in my world.
Thanks!
fingus

Post by fingus »

Thanks for this release, i bought it some days ago (you know). It´s very much appreciated.
It was long awaited and now i can go further with my Projects for my home and at work tools.
airsoftsoftwair

A new version of Hollywood 8.0 has just been uploaded to Google Play. This contains the following fixes for Android:

Code: Select all

- Change [Android]: GetAsset() will only try to access the assets directory when running APKs created
  by the Hollywood APK Compiler; when running normal applets through the Hollywood Player for Android,
  GetAsset() will behave as on desktop systems now
- Fix [Android]: Vertical offsets were slightly shifted when using a display that is initially set to
  "FullScreenScale" mode
- Fix [Android]: "FitScale" didn't work correctly if an orientation different from the current device
  orientation was set using the "Orientation" tag, forcing Hollywood to change the device's orientation
- Fix [Android]: Scaling size wasn't calculated correctly when using "FitScale" while the action bar
  was visible as well
You can check the build date to see if you have the latest version. The build date of this version is May 12th, 2019.
g0blin

Post by g0blin »

Good evening Andreas,

I saw your latest post only half an hour ago, since I was about to write to highlights these misbehaviours. So, hoping to finish the neverending task I did the following:

- I disinstalled the software (the infamous Middle City) and cancelled all the previous copies I had in memory;
- I disinstalled Hollywood Player and manually cancelled the Hollywood directory;
- I rebooted my device;
- I made sure the instruction @VERSION 8,0 was in the code (not really necessary, but just in case...);
- I reistalled the APK Compiler v3.0, just in case I missed a fix;
- I compiled ex-novo the whole code;
- I downloaded the latest player version (12th of May build);
- I installed the freshly compiled apk.

Sadly, despite all my efforts, I have to report that I am still encountering such issues with compiled applications (applets now work fine).Nothing to do.

If I start the game in "portrait mode", Hollywood will first show the "application flash screen" in portrait mode, rotate to landscape but buttons will be totally offset on the left, as they where before; if I start in landscape mode, things get better but fitscale won't work properly etc ...

I am really running out of options. This is the display declaration, just in case I missed something:

Code: Select all

@DISPLAY 1, {X=#CENTER, Y=#CENTER, Width=816, Height=551, HidePointer=True, HideTitleBar=True,
     Sizeable=True, ScaleMode=#SCALEMODE_AUTO, FitScale = True, KeepProportions = True, Orientation=#ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE}
airsoftsoftwair

@g0blin:
This is because APK Compiler 3.0 doesn't have the fix yet. It's just the Hollywood Player that is fixed now but APK Compiler 3.0 doesn't have it yet...