Am I the only one here using GitHub with Hollywood?

Everything that doesn't really have to do with Hollywood
SamuraiCrow

Am I the only one here using GitHub with Hollywood?

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Hi!

I store my projects online using Git as the version control system of choice on GitHub. Version control is so handy and if it is not for a private team larger than 3 people, the hosting is free! Of course Git works on Windows, Linux, Mac and MorphOS but has limited support for AmigaOS4 using SGit and none for AmigaOS 3 currently. I cross-develop from my Linux and MorphOS machines so that's not a huge problem.

What other solutions are used on Amiga that have hosting? I think SourceForge.net still supprts SubVersion. What else is there?
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
Bugala

Re: Am I the only one here using GitHub with Hollywood?

Post by Bugala »

I have been thinking of giving a try to one of these kinds of things, mainly been thinking GitHub since that name seems to come up to me often.

However, I have never quite understood what makes those GitHub, etc. so special, which is also why I have thought of giving a try to figure out what exactly are these offering. So can you give me some rough idea on what is the idea with these GitHub etc. and what is the benefit that one gets from using them?

I do get the benefit when using with a big team, that idea is that whenever someone makes a change to a source code, it wouldn't come into use until some master something gives his approval to it, making managing a big code base much easier and preventing someone accidentally/ill intentionally making unwanted change since it needs to go through that approval process first.

But let's say me, who am a one man team basically, what is the benefit for me to use GitHub or something?
plouf

Post by plouf »

I think tha the root of the issue here is that tools like github and sourceforge are contradictory with "simplification".
Where usually users searching simplified tools like Hollywood are used too

at least this fit for me :)
Christos
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Bugala wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:41 pm But let's say me, who am a one man team basically, what is the benefit for me to use GitHub or something?
The benefits are threefold:
  1. Having off-site backups of every piece of code committed with redundant servers and so on.
  2. Having a history of every version ever made condensed into less storage.
  3. If your project is open-source, the GitHub platform is searchable by other users on GitHub for solutions to existing problems.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Clyde also has some Hollywood stuff on GitHub: https://github.com/JohnArcher
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

True. git(hub) is great and also helpful for a dev working alone, because you always have a history of your (working) code and can implement and test new features when you use a proper branching model.
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Hi, I've found this topic and wanted to share my experience :)

I'm using GitHub to share my works with the outer world, locally I'm using TortoiseGit on Windows, when I have something working and clean enough I just copy my sources and share them on GitHub.
For me it is fast and not too complicated to handle :)
emeck

Post by emeck »

Clyde wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:20 pm True. git(hub) is great and also helpful for a dev working alone, because you always have a history of your (working) code and can implement and test new features when you use a proper branching model.
After months away from my little HW project, I found it difficult to restart working on it: the last changes I made were disorganized and uncommented. I was feeling like I have to start again when I remembered I had uploaded to github (and bitbucket also). So I cloned it and got my last working copy, well organized (for me at least) and with comments. I made some small changes and committed them.

Very useful. And knowing I can get back to a working copy is great.

I have to learn how to work with branches now.
PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.15
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

emeck wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:57 pmAfter months away from my little HW project, I found it difficult to restart working on it: the last changes I made were disorganized and uncommented. I was feeling like I have to start again when I remembered I had uploaded to github (and bitbucket also). So I cloned it and got my last working copy, well organized (for me at least) and with comments. I made some small changes and committed them.

Very useful. And knowing I can get back to a working copy is great.

I have to learn how to work with branches now.
Same here. Branching and merging is important for multi-user projects.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

SamuraiCrow wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:30 am Same here. Branching and merging is important for multi-user projects.
Even for single user projects! Want to try something new out? Create a branch, completly modify your code. It is all rubish? No need to press ctrl + z in your IDE a hundred of times or copy back a backup. Simply delete the branch and you got your working copy from were you started. VERY useful!
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc