Raspberry Pi 4 is out!

Everything that doesn't really have to do with Hollywood
SamuraiCrow

Raspberry Pi 4 is out!

Post by SamuraiCrow »

https://www.raspberrypi.org has the details. It's full 64-bit and uses the Mesa graphics pipeline at 4k HDMI 60 Hz or dual head at 30 Hz. :geek:
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is out!

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

It's full 64-bit
The Raspberry Pi 3 also has a 64-bit CPU but no 64-bit Raspbian so the question is whether they'll come up with a 64-bit version of Raspbian as well... (this would mean that Hollywood would have to support a new linux-arm64 target)
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

I got myself one of them 4Gb models. Always wanted a raspberry for retro-gaming and other things.
Runs very hot in my experience, might need some active cooling before I use it extensively.
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:53 pmThe Raspberry Pi 3 also has a 64-bit CPU but no 64-bit Raspbian so the question is whether they'll come up with a 64-bit version of Raspbian as well... (this would mean that Hollywood would have to support a new linux-arm64 target)
It appears that the userspace on Raspbian is still 32-bit even though the drivers and kernel are 64-bit. It'll be interesting to see what happens!
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Hello Andreas!
any news about a possible linux-arm64 target? Pi4 OSes seems to drop 32bit distributions :)

Greets,
Fabio
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Are there any Pi's that come with a 64-bit OS preinstalled? My Raspberry Pi 400 still has a 32-bit Raspbian installed.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Official Raspbian seems to be 32bit (now called Raspberry Pi OS), but Manjaro ha moved to 64bit, btw I've never tried it yet
Some rumors say that the official distro will go 64bit soon

LINKS
https://manjaro.org/download/#ARM
https://manjaro.org/downloads/arm/raspb ... de-plasma/
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

I use Manjaro ARM on my PineBook Pro but its SBC counterpart is the RockPro64, not the RasPi4 series. Manjaro only supports 64 bit architectures AFAIK.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Hi SamuraiCrow,
that's right, in the link I posted it's clearly stated that the download is for Raspberry Pi 4, I hope to try it in the weekend :)
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

That's cool! I use the x86-64 version on my regular everyday big box. I like Manjaro and maybe you will too. The only thing that bugs me is when third-party, closed-source or partial open-source versions of software like Chrome appear with only Debian packages and no others. Even a FlatPack or Snaps are preferred over .DEB packages on Manjaro. Manjaro uses the package format from Arch.