Game: Help My Cat!

Show off your project created with Hollywood
Bugala

Game: Help My Cat!

Post by Bugala »

I have just released a free game made with Hollywood called:

Help My Cat!

A Platform Puzzle Adventure game where you aim at getting a Cat down from a tree by using stuff you can find around (in Point'n'click style, but in platform style).

It is available from Indiego! Appstore (also made with Hollywood) for Amigas, Mac, PC, Linux:
http://www.indiego-gaming.com/marketplace
Look from "Games/Adventure"-category

Started with Easy Amos, took me more than 20 years to finally get it done and released with Hollywood!
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Game: Help My Cat!

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Please post screenshots :)
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Heres a short gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdwEtm5gLIE

Cant have much more than that, since otherwise i would already need to show how to complete the game.

There is maybe 10 puzzles to solve in total in this game, hence showing even one would already be showing quite much of the game already.

After it have been there for a while, i perhaps make a video showing how to play the game through.
scriptjester

Post by scriptjester »

Cannot find layer "object5" in current BGPic!
File: main.hws (current line: 885 - In function: ShowLayer)

Cannot find layer "fallingwoman" in current BGPic!
File: main.hws (current line: 1176 - In function: NextFrame)

I think it's when falling from the roof and near the lift when using some objects (not really a problem because it's hard to achieve).

version : AmigaOS 4.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Yes, there are couple of bugs that happen rarely that I didnt start fixing.

Sounds like this is the one that you can get by throwing things out of screen and moving yourself out of screen too at same time. Sometimes that triggers a crash where it isnt finding "objectx".

Thanks for reporting. This the first report of someone encountering a crash so far, although i expected more people would even its rare.
scriptjester

Post by scriptjester »

Yes, this is it.

By the way, I notice that on my sam flex 800, when you're on the roof, the game is slow (it's normal on other screens).
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Ah, that is good to know. I wonder what all constitute to it.

First of all there is that all the music and sounds are in Ogg Vorbis. It could be that it is so heavy already that not much is needed after that to put Sams on their feet.

Then one thing is that each layer is redrawn each frame (at least i think thats how i did it). And there are quite a lot of layers there. For example, all those stars are actually anim layers.

I was wondering if those stars would slow things down since although they are small, theres many of them, but didnt see any slowdown when i tested it, but then again, i was trying with modern PC, hence even with Amikit nothing happened.

So my guess is that it is the combination of Ogg Vorbis and stars. But real good you mentioned that, since that is something to take into consideration in future games definitely, for that was only 320x256 resolution, then what if i do the same on HD resolution? Im pretty sure older Sams couldnt handle it anymore without at least changing Ogg Vorbis to something lighter.