Lyrics Jukebox

Show off your project created with Hollywood
Flinx

Lyrics Jukebox

Post by Flinx »

Hello all,
It's time to introduce my music player, because I've mentioned it here from time to time.
You may wonder why anyone tries to make another player nowadays, because there are already a lot of them and many people no longer maintain their own music collection. But I had a reason: None of them was suitable for the original purpose. It was supposed to be a built-in device for historical jukebox wallboxes (mechanical remote controls for jukeboxes, google "seeburg wallbox"), which customers of a jukebox workshop occasionally wanted to convert to operate as MP3 player. Unfortunately this did never happen due to a decease, but I continued to tinker with the program.
Originally, the program was only supposed to play music and text, and the control would have been done via the buttons of the wallbox. For this, the chosen programming in Hollywood would have been optimal. Now instead it has a full GUI optimized for small touchscreens, but also works with large screens. The GUI elements are completely built with Hollywood, which was partly only possible with tricks. You can think about how a mouse click into the input field of the search can put the cursor to the right text position.

In the meantime I built two players with Raspberry and HiFiBerry Amp2, which are used in garden arbors, one with 5" display, the other with 7".

The program displays synchronized texts parallel to the music playback, which must be present in LRC format. Besides playing playlists or shuffle the files, it can also be used in jukebox style, offering the user the tracks in the form of jukebox title strips (but without A or B sides).

Here are a few screenshots:

First is the music playback in progress, the text scrolls vertically and the current line is highlighted:

Tapping (or clicking) the screen brings up the controls:

The magnifying glass leads to the search:

and the stylized Wurlitzer 1015 to the jukebox display. In the left column a few tracks are selected:

And the jukebox can also show cover images, but then the page change will be slower, because many image files have to be loaded:

In the screenshots, besides the built-in fonts, I did use the Albertus Extra Bold font, if you want this too, you have to download it.
The program is here. In addition to the progam file avcodec.hwp and svgimage.hwp are needed. At the moment the messages of the program are only in German.
To change the settings you have to edit the text file Lyrics_Jukebox.config. The entries there are commented, but also only in German. The most important are the two entries of the directories for music and for the lyrics files. I created empty folders, and as soon as there is at least one MP3 file in "Music", there should be no warning message when starting the program.
At the moment only MP3 files are supported.

I downloaded the lyrics mainly using Minilyrics and the extensions for foobar2000. This website is also helpful: Lyricsify.

One obstacle at the moment is the older ffmpeg version used for Linux, which doesn't handle variable bitrate files very well. For now I've converted my entire music collection to constant bitrate using ffmpeg, let's see when I find the time to rebuild Hollywood's avcodec.hwp with a current ffmpeg version.

I don't know yet if I will be happy if someone finds bugs, but anyway please report all.

Ralf
xabierpayet

Re: Lyrics Jukebox

Post by xabierpayet »

wow, it's nice, i'm attempting to configure it with some songs
xabierpayet

Post by xabierpayet »

Tested with 3 titles and lyrics and working great
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Looks very nice, thanks for sharing!
lazi

Post by lazi »

You did not cared about real operating systems! :-)
Could you include in the archive a compiled applet for example Amiga-like systems?

Thanks!
The description and screenshots are makes this program very interesting.
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

lazi wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:29 pm You did not cared about real operating systems! :-)
That's true, but I didn't want to add anything I hadn't tried. It won't work on 68k machines for sure, but I'll add the other variants tomorrow, but without warranty.
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

Here are the requested remaining binaries. Use at your own risk...
And please report the results.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Flinx wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:09 pm One obstacle at the moment is the older ffmpeg version used for Linux, which doesn't handle variable bitrate files very well. For now I've converted my entire music collection to constant bitrate using ffmpeg, let's see when I find the time to rebuild Hollywood's avcodec.hwp with a current ffmpeg version.
Can you provide such a variable bitrate MP3 that doesn't work with avcodec.hwp? On my system MP3s with variable bitrates seem to work fine.
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:41 pm Can you provide such a variable bitrate MP3 that doesn't work with avcodec.hwp?
That was some time ago, first I have to dig it out again. I'll send a message. I suspect the problems have to do with bad or missing headers, but there hasn't been time yet to analyze that. At least I would like to achieve that all files are played that other players can handle.
Flinx

Lyrics Jukebox update

Post by Flinx »

Here's a small update.
More robust loading of the cover images, possible display of cover images on playback screen when lyrics are not so important, some bugfixes.

Lyrics Jukebox beta
Lyrics Jukebox beta, untested platforms

If you have already a working configuration file, then you must adapt the two changed keywords (important is Recursive-->ReadSubDirs).