SonosController

Show off your project created with Hollywood
mrupp

SonosController

Post by mrupp »

Finally, after a bit more than 5 months and having learned a great deal about Hollywood and RapaGUI, here it is: my first Amiga program called SonosController.
This is a first public beta for AOS4 and MorphOS and I'd be more than happy to receive any comments or bug reports here.

Features:
  • searches your network automatically for Sonos speakers (that was a tricky one, doing an M-SEARCH multicast call, see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3290 for more details)
  • listing your speakers with the info of the currently playing song, with an icon that is downloaded from the speaker itself
  • subscription of the speaker's UPNP events (that was probably the hardest one to crack, man-o-man), it means that the controller gets a notification if the Sonos system receives a command from some other controller (f.e. from your mobile or on some other computer) or directly from the speaker's buttons (see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3287 for more details on how I did it).
  • sending control commands (sending SOAP requests senden, another tricky one, see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3224 for more details):
    • Play
    • Pause
    • Next
    • Back
    • Jump to time index
    • Volume
    • Mute
    • Shuffle
    • Repeat (everything, current song)
    • Crossfade
  • display of the current song's title, artist, and album on the selected speaker
  • download and display of the album cover if possible (f.e. if embedded into the playing MP3 file)
  • local cache for album covers for better performance
  • local cache can be emptied in the Preferences dialog
  • listing the selected speaker's current queue
  • playing a song by clicking an entry in the queue
  • listing the Sonos favourites incl. starting one
  • listing the Sonos playlists incl. starting one (normal oder shuffled)
  • listing TuneIn's saved radio stations incl. starting one
  • listing TuneIn's saved radio shows incl. starting one
  • browsing your music library incl. starting songs, albums, etc. (normal or shuffled)
  • searching your music library by search string and search type (artist, album, composer, genre, song or imported playlist)
  • the last x search strings are save, whereas x can be configured in the Preferences (0 - max. 50)
  • saved search strings can be emptied in the Preferences dialog
And I absolutely wanted to have an Amiga exclusive feature in it, something that the original Sonos app doesn't feature:
  • Exporting playlists in M3U format. These can be put into your music library's "playlists" folder to be re-imported into Sonos, thus enabling you to kind of backup and restore your playlists.
Well, and this is how it all looks like:

And here are the download links for the 1st beta of SonosController:
AmigaOS 4.1: https://mrupp.ch/betas/SonosController_OS4.lha
MorphOS: https://mrupp.ch/betas/SonosController_MOS.lha

The following features I saved for a later version and do not need to be reported as missing:
  • german translation (english only for now)
  • grouping / ungrouping of speakers
  • integration of music services such as Spotify, etc.
  • modifying the current queue, adding songs (or whole playlists), remove songs, change song order
  • save a queue as a new playlist
  • modifying playlists (change, rename, delete, etc.)
  • sleep timer functionality
  • alarms functionality
  • ringho notifications
I'm actually mainly interested in bugs and am very glad for any being reported here.

Well then, happy testing, hope to be able to release a first version to OS4Depot / MorphZone / Aminet very soon...

Cheers, Michael
jPV

Re: SonosController

Post by jPV »

Wow, this looks cool and huge! Too bad I don't have compatible speaker setup... but at least the program starts under MorphOS :) Would love to test in in real use...
jPV

Post by jPV »

Hmm.. I get hits in the MorphOS debug log when I close program's Preferences window. And if I repeat that few times the whole application crashes. If you can't get it reproduced, I try to find time to test more...
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

jPV wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:30 pm Hmm.. I get hits in the MorphOS debug log when I close program's Preferences window. And if I repeat that few times the whole application crashes. If you can't get it reproduced, I try to find time to test more...
Thanks for your report. I am on holiday for the week but I'll have a look at it when I'm back straight away.

What I forgot to mention in my original post are the system requirements. You'll need:
  • MUI 5.0 (RapaGUI plugin)
  • AmiSSL 4.x (hURL plugin)
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Congratulations on the release, it looks really polished!
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

jPV wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:30 pm Hmm.. I get hits in the MorphOS debug log when I close program's Preferences window. And if I repeat that few times the whole application crashes. If you can't get it reproduced, I try to find time to test more...
Yes, I could reproduce this issue on MorphOS and reported it here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3379
But I could fix it and a new beta 2 is out now (same links as before, see original post).

Is the absence of reported bugs here the result of my most excellent programming :lol: or the lack of Sonos owners among Hollywood programmers? Is there anybody that could actually test the thing out? Anybody?
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

Well, I dared doing it and released SonosController 1.0: Enjoy!
Cheers, Michael
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Congrats on the release, buddy! Unfortunately I have no Sonos (compatible) speaker, so I cannot test and use it. But I think this is helpful for many Amiga users.
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc