OnScreenKeyboard for Touch Screens

Show off your project created with Hollywood
seventhwonder

OnScreenKeyboard for Touch Screens

Post by seventhwonder »

Dear All

I am beta-testing Alfredo Amendolagine's touch device for AmigaOS4 which enables to use Touch Screens on AmigaOS4 with a standart API.
E.g. I am testing a Waveshare 15" multi-touch screen on AmigaOS4
http://www.os4depot.net/?function=showf ... device.lha

As far as I know, there were no on-screen keyboards for AmigaOS4.

So I wrote I wrote a small OnScreen Keyboard for t touch screen with Hollywood9.
I don't know if it is possible to write a real onscreen keyboard which are found on iOS and Android. But I think it is a simple solution for
entering text on Touchscreen. It's currently in upload section of OS4Depot.

I intend to develop it further and Alfredo gave me these ideas..

"It would be nice if you could create an overlay keyboard that spoke directly to the touch.device. This way it would work even without TouchBench and could send keyboard events as if it were a real keyboard, directly on any window that has focus.
In other words, as TouchBench converts touch events to mouse events, the virtual keyboard could convert touch events to keyboard events. To do this we would need to understand how to draw the virtual keyboard on the screen with a window that is completely transparent to events and never takes focus. It would work like keyboards on cell phones. Since Hollywood also runs on Android, Windows etc ..., do you know if there are plugins that make use of touch events?"

Is this possible on AmigaOS4 edition of Hollywood 9, what do you suggest to accomplish this ?
Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Thanks.
lazi

Re: OnScreenKeyboard for Touch Screens

Post by lazi »

There was an attempt to make such tool for OS4.
Here is the amigans topic: https://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/ ... mpost93570

Unfortunately the links are not working anymore, but ask LiveForIt!

Can't find on my machine, but it worked if I remember correctly.

According to your program I think the borders around lines are unneccesarily makes the window larger than it should be.
It would be nice to make a plugin that handle system calls to make virtual input events.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: OnScreenKeyboard for Touch Screens

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

seventhwonder wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:38 pm Is this possible on AmigaOS4 edition of Hollywood 9, what do you suggest to accomplish this ?
Hollywood doesn't have any support for touch.device so you would have to write a plugin using the Hollywood SDK. For people experienced in C this could be done quite easily to interface with a Hollywood script because all the plugin would have to do is to wrap the touch.device functionality to Hollywood commands.