SmartClock :)

Show off your project created with Hollywood
Allanon

SmartClock :)

Post by Allanon »

Hello all,
before uploding this project I would like to see if there is interest in it :)
Recently I've developed a nice clock for my RPi 4 which is taking dust, so I had to find an app to use it and I chosen a clock, it has the following features:
- Fully configurable
- More clock modes (actually 1 is complete with 7 segments display + dot matrix display, and 1 is in development with full dot matrix display)
- News feed reader (infos are scrolled vertically, feeds are decoded using string match, not a real decoder)
- Current meteo & forecast reader (infos are scrolled horizontally)
- Code & screen refresh is optimized to take as less CPU cycles as possible
- I'd like to implement also a music player and an alarm

Here is a screenshot:

Let me know if someone is interested so I can setup a GItHub repo :)
airsoftsoftwair

Re: SmartClock :)

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Looks nice, I hereby endorse a github upload :)
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Looks very cool! Could use it on my RasPi 400.
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

thank you for the feedback! ASAP I will upload it and share the link :)
@Clyde how is the RasPi 400 keyboard? Is it comfortable?
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Thanks!

Yes, I like the Keyboard. Of course it is small but I really enjoy typing on it.
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

@Clyde
Thank you for the feedback about the Pi keyboard! :D

Here is the Smartclock repo, I hope to have setup it correctly, please let me know if something is missing, configuring the paths to the libs in an universal way is not simple :D

Smartclock Repository

Readme Excerpt
--8<-----
INTRODUCTION
I've made this program for my personal use so it's not a full fledged application but some things has been hacked like the RSS Reader that just looks for specific strings headers instead of parsing the XML file.

I've provided a <config.txt> where you can configure the clock has you like, you can also completely change the layout since elements can be positioned and scaled as you wish.
The 7 segment display and the dot matrix display are implemented in the provided <DigitalWorld.hws> include, this file will be placed also on my libs collection once it will be a bit more polished.

BEFORE YOU RUN
Before you run the program you need my libraries that you can find here.
Download them and configure them as explained in the readme.
After this step open the <includes.hws> file in the SmartClock folder and specify the full path of the <+Includes.hws> file in the line:

@INCLUDE "=== PUT HERE THE PATH TO +Includes.hws FILE ==="

The last step is to obtain the OpenWeather API Key, it's free and you can request it in a couple of clicks here.

Replace your own key with the one provided because free accounts have a limited daily number of requests available, but enough for this project :)

Now you are ready!

ABOUT SMARTCLOCK
This is a clock app developed to run on my Raspberry Pi4, it features a digital clock emulating 7 segments display and 2 dot matrix display (fully configurable) to display the current wheater and forecast and the latest news taken from an RSS Feed.

The clock features a Dim mode to change the color in certain times (for example to use softer colors during the night), it also has a screensaver that run an animation on the 7 segments display to avoid static images for too long.

--8<---------
emeck

Post by emeck »

Allanon wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:57 pm thank you for the feedback! ASAP I will upload it and share the link :)
Very nice! Thanks for sharing, Fabio.
PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.15
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

emeck wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:50 pm
Allanon wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:57 pm thank you for the feedback! ASAP I will upload it and share the link :)
Very nice! Thanks for sharing, Fabio.
You are welcome!
Thank you for the feedback :)
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Hello and Happy New Year!

I've updated my GitHub repos: Smartclock & GLFX library, please have a look to this post on Patreon to view what's changed :)