The Beckoning

Show off your project created with Hollywood
ocean77

The Beckoning

Post by ocean77 »

I have put together a short teaser to showcase my game project. I'm not giving away too much at this point, but
hopefully it will serve to show the visual style I'm going for as well as the setting and mood and hopefully
spark some interest.

https://youtu.be/mcwW6EMuDPY

I had intended to do it all in Hollywood Designer as I am no programmer, but it is already getting quite
disorganized and hard to maintain. I might need to get an experienced programmer on board unless I
can tidy things up.

The plan is to first release a playable teaser to introduce the universe, and then tell the story in
a chapter based fashion in an attempt to divide the whole into smaller more managable pieces.
I wanted a branching story, but that seems very unlikely to happen at this point. Expect linearity save
for a few bits and bobs. There are puzzles and conversation choices, but they will most likely not
affect the outcome in any way.

The backgrounds are rendered 3d scenes which are painted over. And the animated elements, such as characters, are
rotoscoped, traced like simple sketches then cel shaded. The animation will be minimal to keep the workload down.
It will be more of a slide-show than fluid, but I think it works very well.

To me, the ambience and sound are much more important than the visual aspects. Which is why I've devoted a
considerable amount of time and effort on those elements as well as the writing process.
It has to feel and sound right before it looks right.

Well, that's all I had for now. Hopefully, you'll tag along and follow "The Beckoning" as it materializes.

Thanks.
ocean77

Re: The Beckoning

Post by ocean77 »

I couldn't edit the original post for some reason.
Wanted to add the Lbry link as well:

https://open.lbry.com/@Hole-Creations:6 ... vBdMQKFUyk
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

:shock: WOW! This a art!

Very atmospheric, great ambience and sound, very professional. I also dig the visual style. This is really awesome!

Are you related to the wolfram sound guys?

I will definitely watch this space for more infos and insights. :-) Very well done.
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Looks great so far, only worried that based upon your text explanation the game itself might be bit poor mechanics-wise as it sounds like you had plans that seem you are currently not able to make into reality.

Funnily it never appeared to my mind that actually Designer could be good for making Intros to games, Didn't realize that until saw your video, Might give a try myself too.

I have all the time been thinking that Designer could be good for making some games, but never quite figured how. Maybe there would need to be sort of "plugins" to make it usable.

By plugins I mean a library of a piece of codes you could attach to objects to make them do something special. Like I once made another user this scrolling text he can use in designer projects.

Anyway, I don't promise, but I might have some interest in making these kinds of "plugins", so if there is some specific thing you are not able to get done but would like to, let me know and I will give it a thought if I could make it into a piece of reusable code.
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

Clyde wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 pm :shock: WOW! This a art!

Very atmospheric, great ambience and sound, very professional. I also dig the visual style. This is really awesome!

Are you related to the wolfram sound guys?

I will definitely watch this space for more infos and insights. :-) Very well done.
Thank you for the kind words, and encouragement. It's really appreciated. :-)
The Wolfram-Tungsten Project was a separate musical project I had going which deviated from my usual style. It had laid dormant for a while, and since it largely dealt with the same subject matter I thought I should incorporate it.
Bugala wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:09 am I have all the time been thinking that Designer could be good for making some games, but never quite figured how. Maybe there would need to be sort of "plugins" to make it usable.

By plugins I mean a library of a piece of codes you could attach to objects to make them do something special. Like I once made another user this scrolling text he can use in designer projects.

Anyway, I don't promise, but I might have some interest in making these kinds of "plugins", so if there is some specific thing you are not able to get done but would like to, let me know and I will give it a thought if I could make it into a piece of reusable code.
Those are brilliant ideas. And I actually have a few ideas that certainly could benefit from this kind of approach. Reusability is king in my book. :)
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Looks good!
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Very good and fantastic intro, only the problema of work with Hollywood Designer is that the program I think isn't a tool to make games except puzzles and quiz, to make an adventure like look your fantastic intro you make with the Hollywood.
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:05 am Looks good!
Thank you! :-)
Juan Carlos wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:25 pm Very good and fantastic intro, only the problema of work with Hollywood Designer is that the program I think isn't a tool to make games except puzzles and quiz, to make an adventure like look your fantastic intro you make with the Hollywood.
Thank you. :-)
You are right... It's very hard. But I am certainly no programmer and I am quite determined to prove that you could be able to make something interesting with it. ;)
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Thank you for your offer, the question is the style of game because the big problems today un Amiga is the graphics an adventure there are make background, sprites, etc, a puzzle game too but less. What do you think make?
Also g0blin cans give you ideas for your game.
ocean77

Post by ocean77 »

Juan Carlos wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 pm Thank you for your offer, the question is the style of game because the big problems today un Amiga is the graphics an adventure there are make background, sprites, etc, a puzzle game too but less. What do you think make?
Also g0blin cans give you ideas for your game.
Apologies... I may have worded myself poorly. If your are offering your expertise then I should be the one thanking you. I'll let you know if I need anything specific.