PerCIMan - Person Contact and Information Manager

Show off your project created with Hollywood
zylesea

PerCIMan - Person Contact and Information Manager

Post by zylesea »

Here's a preview on my latest project: PerCIMan - Person Contact and Information Manager

This is a program to manage contact and other information about persons. It offers information to a person's addresses (private, job, etc.), phone, email and web/social media contact, birthday, picture file. Persons can get marked as friends, relatives, business contacts, almuni, etc.. It's possible to filter the list according to these flags.
There is a birthday reminder included (lists all next birthdays and alarms 10 days in advance). There is also a log file for each person to add information on a particular date (e.g.: "23.08.2014 married" or "15.04.2010 Master of Science in Physics" or such) , as well a free text field for notes of whaever content.
You can add as many persons to a data set as you like and you can create as many data sets as you like. For all people within a data set you can do some networking - who knows whom and in which realtion (e.g. friend, relative, business contact, unknown, etc.).

The above is more or less the goal for 1.0. I think I release a version with a subset of these functions the next days.

I'd be happy to get some feedback whether ths program sounds useful or not so. I am unsure how much effort I'd put into this as I have limited time and some other projects on my list, too.
Bugala

Re: PerCIMan - Person Contact and Information Manager

Post by Bugala »

Well, regarding the usefulness the main problem is that we nowadays have cellphones etc. to do somewhat same, although perhaps not as handy to put them in, but handier to dig them out, so in that sense might not be worth too much effort.

However, I can see one useful application on that software. As long as you make it flexible enough that I can myself decide what information i put about each entry, for example make all the "name", "birthday" etc. so that you dont actually have "name", "birthday", but you have option to put fields that you can name freely as for example "name" and which can then take letters inside it, or fields that can have numbers or dates in them, and that you can name for example as "birthday", and then we have something useful that cellphones havent replaced yet.

For with flexible system like that, you can keep up registers. Especially if you add possibility to print stuff out based upon the database, and it would become very useful.

For example I have been distributin Amiga Future magazines in Finland, and have many times thought it would be handy to have some registry of my few customers, and then a way to simply print out their addresses. However, since subscriber amount have been so small so far, i have so far handled them all by simply using pen to write their addresses.

Anyway, point being that as long as your software is flexible enough, you could make customer registry, or club registry or something.

We for example once had this local "live action role playing club" where we had ranks among our people. Hence possibility to make data entries like "name", "join date", "rank", "adress", and then being able to print out for example list that would only contain "name" and "rank" would have been very useful option in sense that we could have simply printed out the ranks of our members on a list for everyone to see.

You could use something like that to keep track of something else than people too, like track of games, or your computers or something. I could see lot of private uses for people on something like that, as long as it is flexible enough.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Hmm, another example.

I am personally not interested in condition of my comics, but if i would, i could make a list of comics with their condition rating included, and mark even different comics to different groups.

When home, i would simply work with the database, but when i would be going to antique shop to look for comics, i could for example print out list of some certain comics, like for example all my lucky luke albums with their condition ranking. Then with this printed list i could go to shop and see if they would have either some missing albums, or some albums in better condition.

Would be very useful if i would be enthusiast enough about them.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

@zyleasea:
Nice!
zylesea

Post by zylesea »

Bugala wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:38 pm (...)
Thank you for your reply. But as I understand your suggestions the program should rather become a generic database. But that is not my intention. There are quite some general database programs available, I doubt I could compete with them. The idea is rather to give a tailored solution for one specific task: collect and manage information about ppl - kind of offline social medium.
But I hear you and keep it in mind.

@ Andreas

thanks

--
Here's a pic from the editor tab:
r-tea

Post by r-tea »

zylesea wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:12 am Thank you for your reply. But as I understand your suggestions the program should rather become a generic database. But that is not my intention. There are quite some general database programs available, I doubt I could compete with them.
Right. There is e.g. MUIBase.
zylesea

Post by zylesea »

i put out a first release. It is rather for testing and to get a first impression. And this first release is speaking German only (albeit probably not too difficult to understand, hence no big hurdle).
Quite some functions are off still, but you can create and edit persons with the basic features. This early release is available for MorphOS and Amiga 68k only. i put it out now as it actually works (at least on my system) and I don't exactly know when I will continue working on it.

https://via.i-networx.de/perciman/about.htm#down
zylesea

Post by zylesea »

A small update 0.3.1

Main improvement: the program does speak english now (German of course, too).
Also an update notification (if online) and a few smaller changes/fixes.

For MorphOS, Amiga 68k, OS4 and Windows.
Requires the RapaGUI-Plugin and (on Amiga et al) at least MUI4.

https://via.i-networx.de/perciman/about.htm

Most coding was done during commuting, a big "thanks" to the Deutsche Bahn for they massive delays which provided me quite some time for programming ;-)
zylesea

Post by zylesea »

Just released version 0.4!

New:
- filtering the persons according to their flags (friend, relative, colleague,...) possible now. You can select two flags and combie them with "and" "or" and "but not", the latter works from left to right.
-English translation improved, on systems with another system language than German the GUI gets initialized in English now.
- quite some smaller fixes and improvements.
- compiled with Hollywood 8.

It's slowly getting closer to the desired 1.0 state.
And again a special thanks to Deutsche Bahn on their delays - with my powerbook always in my Rucksack I have more time to work on this than expected...

Available for Amiga, MorphOS, OS4 and Windows. The Amigaish systems require the RapaGUI plugin present, the Windows binary comes with included/linked RapaGUI plugin.

Tested on MorphOS and a little on Windows 7 and 10.

I'm am happy for feedback.

more: https://via.i-networx.de/perciman/about.htm
zylesea

Post by zylesea »

I am progressing with PerCIMan and added the person network today. This was the last big missing feature. Looks currently like this:

Now the program needs polishing and a bit improving, but I am approaching where i want it to be eventually. Still a bit to go until 1.0, next days 0.5 will get released though.

I also updated the according website (EN/DE):
https://via.i-networx.de/perciman/about.htm