Raycaster in Hollywood

Show off your project created with Hollywood
jalih

Raycaster in Hollywood

Post by jalih »

Hi all,

I thought it would be nice to start working on some 3D game stuff. Like always I'm 20 years behind the current stuff, so it's only a raycaster.

Currently it's slow as hell with texturing on but I'm still working on it. Implemented are textured walls, floor and ceiling. Next I will try to add some kind of a distance shading, so vertical wall slices that are further away will apperar darker than vertical wall slices on the front. After that it's time to get sprites in the game.

Small test demo for Windows

Press: Alt + Enter to get better view, 1 to enable wall textures, 2 to enable floor textures and 3 to enable ceiling textures.

To enable floor and ceiling textures, the wall textures must be enabled.
jalih

Re: Raycaster in Hollywood

Post by jalih »

Just added some kind of a distance shading, so walls, floor and ceiling further away appear to be more darker. I think it's actually starting to look quite good!

Bugala

Post by Bugala »

It surely is slow on my half year old minilaptop when walls, floors and ceiling is turned on, but despite that it opens interesting new possibilities for hollywood.

This surely shows that for something like Another world style vector graphics thing Hollywood would be more than suitable even on slower machines.

And especially it seems that my thought of using some small amount of 3D mixed to 2D is very well possible, especially when taken into consideration that power keeps increasing all the time.

It was maybe 3 FPS with all stuff on now, but 5 years later it might already be 15 FPS.
jalih

Post by jalih »

I will post the code in a couple of days for others to play with. Currently it's about 450 lines of text total.

I will add comments, some more stuff and give you seven different raycasting functions to play with:

1. Filled walls, filled floor and ceiling.
2. Filled walls with distance shading, filled floor and ceiling.
3. Filled walls, floor and ceiling, all distance shaded.
3. Textured walls, filled floor and ceiling.
4. Textured walls, textured floor and ceiling.
5. Textured and distance shaded walls, filled floor and ceiling.
6. Textured and distance shaded walls, filled and distance shaded floor and ceiling.
7. All textured and distance shaded.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Interesting code, but of course 3D stuff in Hollywood will always be veeeeeery slow because it's all done in software without any hardware acceleration :)
jalih

Post by jalih »

Heh,

Just realized DisplayBrushPart() can do scaling with standard tags. Wall slice texturing got quite a speed boost! It's a little less accurate looking though!
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Really interesting work!
:)