System freeze when adding sounds

Report any Designer bugs here
amigaoneproductions

System freeze when adding sounds

Post by amigaoneproductions »

I am using Designer 2.1 on an Amiga SAM440EP running OS4.1 Update 1

Whenever I try to add a sound event, as soon as I click OK after selecting a sound file, the select file requester closes and the system freezes, no mouse movement, caps lock freezes, the only way out is the reset button on the case.

I have tried adding different sound types, or changing a sound in an existing project, but the result is the same.

Any ideas ?

UPDATE:

If I manually enter the path to the sound file, and not click to bring up the file requester, it works fine. (so it's not a problem reading the sounds)
Adding other objects with a file requester, i.e. a brush object works fine, so the problem does not seem to be with the file requester either
airsoftsoftwair

Re: System freeze when adding sounds

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

I actually got the same report from another user via email today. It could be related to OS 4.1 Update 1 which I currently don't have installed here. I'll try it myself as soon as I update to OS 4.1.1.
amigaoneproductions

Thanks,

When I was installing Hollywood, I was careful not to overwrite any libs that were already newer than the one in the archive, so is it possible there is a version conflict with the MUI libs ?

Just a thought :-)
airsoftsoftwair

Ok, I've checked it and this really seems to be a bug in OS4. OS4 always crashes when trying to open a 1x1 pixel window, i.e. try the following:

Code: Select all

@DISPLAY {Width = 1, Height = 1}
WaitLeftMouse
End
This always crashes here. I thought that this would have been fixed in Update 1 because Tuxedo told me that he no longer got crashes with Update 1 but if Designer crashes after selecting a sound file, then the bug is definitely still in OS4. I haven't found time to install Update 1 here but you can check it for yourself. Just try the code above on Update 1. If it crashes, then the bug is still there :)

You might wonder what this has to do with the sound event in Designer. The answer is this: Whenever you select a sound file, Designer starts Hollywood and lets Hollywood check the sound format (Designer doesn't contain any sound code). When Designer starts Hollywood, it sets the display size to 1x1 so that the user doesn't notice that Hollywood has just been started :)
amigaoneproductions

Thanks, I'll check it out tommorrow when I'm in front of the Amiga again. I'll let you know as soon as I've tested it.

Paul
Mufa

Post by Mufa »

Andreas wrote:Ok, I've checked it and this really seems to be a bug in OS4. OS4 always crashes when trying to open a 1x1 pixel window, i.e. try the following:

Code: Select all

@DISPLAY {Width = 1, Height = 1}
WaitLeftMouse
End
You're right. This code = my system crash.
amigaoneproductions

Confirmed here as well, if you save the above code as a text file, then execute it with "hollywood foo.hws" then the system freezes.
amigaoneproductions

I think this also confirms that andreas is correct :

If the problem is in OS4, and we don't know when or if it will be fixed, would it not be sensible to have hollywood workaround the problem by opening a 2 x 2 screen instead, if it works, what's a pixel between friends ;)
airsoftsoftwair

I've reported the bug to the OS4 devs and it should be fixed in the next update.
amigaoneproductions

Just a note to say that the bug still exists using the latest update (OS 4.1 Update 2) so it's not fixed yet.