Designer V5 - OS4 hard crash when playing examples with Hollywood 9

Report any Designer bugs here
AlexC

Designer V5 - OS4 hard crash when playing examples with Hollywood 9

Post by AlexC »

There may be an issue between Designer 5 and Hollywood 9 on OS4.

I tried to play the Commodore and Welcome examples from within Designer and in both case the machine locked up hard after a few seconds.
It wasn't possible to reboot or reset from the keyboard, caps lock was dead too so the kernel/exec was probably crashed, and I didn't get any debug output out of serial, but I'm using sashimi on a shell piped to serial port 1 so the extra layers may have died before the serial debug could make it out.

I tried creating a very simple 2-page test with text, delay and FX and that didn't crash.

Out of curiosity I tried the same examples again with Designer 5 and HOLLYWOOD: assigned to Hollywood 8 instead of 9, and it didn't crash, so the issue seems to be between Designer 5 and Hollywood 9.

I'm using OS4.1 final on an A1/XE.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Designer V5 - OS4 hard crash when playing examples with Hollywood 9

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Does this happen every time you run the Commodore Demo or Welcome projects from Designer or just sometimes?
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

It happens everytime, the Welcome New example takes 30 second to reach the point where it crashes, the Commodore one crashes within 2 or 3 seconds.
I'll see if I can isolate the crash to a specific function.
airsoftsoftwair

Also make sure to test it without Designer. You can run those scripts directly from Hollywood or a console as well, e.g. from Shell:

Code: Select all

1> Hollywood "Designer:Projects/Welcome New/Welcome New.hws"
1> Hollywood "Designer:Projects/Commodore Demo/Commodore Demo.hws"
Does it make a difference when running those projects without Designer?
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Does it make a difference when running those projects without Designer?
No, it crashes the same way.
I hooked up a serial terminal this time, with debug level 20 and still didn't get any output during the crash.

I tried modifying the Commodore example as it crashes right away and found that if I remove all the transition effects on the objects it doesn't crash.
The transition fx on the pages doesn't seem to cause the crash, only the fx on the objects, both when they get displayed and when they get removed via the action object.
Oddly enough I can't cause the crash with my own test page where I used a background picture and transition on the text, but I didn't try every transitions.
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I installed Designer and Hollywood on OS4 in WinUAE and don't get the crash in that environment so it may be dependent on the hardware used, possibly the graphics card or its driver (Radeon 9200).
On the XE I also got the crash by dropping a png file from the Workbench to the Designer window.
I'll have to try on WinUAE and on the X1000 to see if it's only on the XE.
airsoftsoftwair

Does it also crash in failsafe mode? You can activate that by passing -usewpa as an argument, e.g.

Code: Select all

1> Hollywood "Designer:Projects/Welcome New/Welcome New.hws" -usewpa
1> Hollywood "Designer:Projects/Commodore Demo/Commodore Demo.hws" -usewpa
Does that make a difference?