no sound in Hollywood 5.3 when using examples?

Report any Hollywood bugs here
sesco

no sound in Hollywood 5.3 when using examples?

Post by sesco »

were working fine before on my x1000 using built in sound chip but now no sound at all while loading up examples etc? I do have sound while using Hollywood programs but none of the examples work.
A1-X1000- I BELIEVE
airsoftsoftwair

Re: no sound in Hollywood 5.3 when using examples?

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

So what has changed in your system that could be a cause for this? Did you install any software updates or were there any hardware changes? Also, which Hollywood programs do still work correctly? Do the examples output sound if you compile them and start them as stand-alone programs?
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

sesco
If you are programming a shot em' up game in this case there are sound problems for example if you are shot with a gun machine the sound crashes, because the sound sample must to finish until play the new sample sound.
sesco

Post by sesco »

Andreas wrote:So what has changed in your system that could be a cause for this? Did you install any software updates or were there any hardware changes? Also, which Hollywood programs do still work correctly? Do the examples output sound if you compile them and start them as stand-alone programs?

the only thing that I have done with the sound is took out my old pci sound card and loaded the new onbaord sound driver for the X1000. After installing the new sound driver the sound was ok but then later when I went into for example the aquarium demo there was no sound at all?

I compled the aquarium script and played it separately on WB but still no sound even though the aquarium program itself works just fine. If I go into the folder and click on the sound file...voila the sound works so this is very strange. other games/ tunenet etc., work fine on my system so I don't think it's an AHI or driver error.

@ Juan carlos

thanks for the info but my problem is something totally different
A1-X1000- I BELIEVE
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Well, Tunenet is not a Hollywood program so I'd suspect that sound generally doesn't work with the new sound driver or can you name a Hollywood program that actually plays sound correctly?

I don't have an X1000 here so it's pretty difficult to check what's going wrong there. My first suggestion would be that you try to get some feedback from other X1000 owners to see if Hollywood shows the same behaviour on their systems.

Also, keep in mind that AFAICS the X1000 onboard sound driver is still in beta stage. It could have some problems with the AHI library interface that Hollywood depends on. Most other programs use the device interface, but Hollywood works exclusively through the library interface. This could be an explanation why other programs work, but Hollywood programs don't.

It's pretty unlikely that this is a bug in Hollywood's AHI driver because there haven't been any changes in this driver for ages and it has proven rock-stable on all Amiga-derived systems with lots of different AHI drivers. So I'd suspect that your AHI driver is the culprit here because it probably doesn't provide a 100% AHI compliant library interface.
sesco

Post by sesco »

@ Andreas

I have checked with some users of the onboard audio and Hollywood sound is ok with them. Jack is a Hollywood program and I hear sound fine with it.

I will start a separate thread in the forums and see if there are others with the same issues as I do understand it's most likely a driver/ AHI issue rathe than with Hollywood itself
A1-X1000- I BELIEVE
sesco

Post by sesco »

FINALLY figured out my AHI issue that was affecting Hollywood programs & solution is [url]http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... rum=14/url].

many thanks to AlexC & thomas :D
A1-X1000- I BELIEVE