ShowDisplay() fails if display outside of visible screen

Report any Hollywood bugs here
TheMartian

ShowDisplay() fails if display outside of visible screen

Post by TheMartian »

Hi

If I move a display partly outside the visible screen and later hide and display it i get a message like this:

Unable to change displaysize to 1024 x 1024

...(if that is the size of the display).

The code below triggers the error as my display has the dimensions 1920 x 1200. So 300+1024 is beyond that.

Since displays partially outside the visible area are legal, I suspect this is a bug.

regards
Jesper

@DISPLAY {x=300,y=300}
CreateBGPic(2,1024,1024,#RED)
SetDisplayAttributes({BGPic=2})

WaitLeftMouse
HideDisplay()
Wait(100)
ShowDisplay()
WaitLeftMouse

End
airsoftsoftwair

Re: ShowDisplay() fails if display outside of visible screen

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Since displays partially outside the visible area are legal, I suspect this is a bug.
Not on AmigaOS3 and WarpOS! Only OS4, AROS, and MorphOS allow displays to be outside of the visible area. I'm not sure why Hollywood is currently blocking the opening of displays outside of the screen bounds but I think I made this for a reason so I'm somewhat reluctant to change this. Better move the display to the visible region first :)
TheMartian

Post by TheMartian »

Hi

I noticed this because I was playing with the sceen dump utility I created using Hollywood some days ago based on the new desktop dump command and put on this site. The screen dump utility gets around the problem by only copying the part of the selected area inside the visible display (and actually centers it afterwards).

PS.
For my amusement I compiled a version for the PC and used it today during a break in an installation at a customers site (I do consultant work every now and then) to demonstrate what this 'strange Hollywood thingy' can do ;) It turns out the Amiga is a good subject while waiting for installations to finish. There is always someone present with fond memories of Amigas.

regards
Jesper
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Ok, I've fixed this now. The reason why this error occurred is that the OS4 window manager itself refuses to open windows that are partly outside the screen boundaries. I've changed this now so that these windows are adapted automatically to appear inside the screen boundaries.