100% Volume is not 100% Volume

Report any Hollywood bugs here
djrikki

100% Volume is not 100% Volume

Post by djrikki »

Hi,

System: SAM460, AmigaOS 4.1 update 3, Hollywood 4.7

I downloaded LookingForXmas.lha from OS4Depot yesterday and despite the good game I noticed the music volume was playing rather low.

Today, I went into Hollywood, downloaded an mp3 and played it back in Hollywood and it too played rather low, I played around with SetVolume() as well and changed it to 64/100% same result - music playback is seriously quiet.

I tried playing the same mp3 in TuneNet and it was over 50% louder with no boost. I rebooted the System-startup sound nearly deafen me, same for other software.

Andreas, does Hollywood play through AHI? This needs fixing asap the volume is nowhere near 100%.
Last edited by djrikki on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evolve - Rapid GUI Development tool for MUI Royale and RapaGUI
http://myevolve.wordpress.com
djrikki

Re: 100% Volume is not 100% Volume

Post by djrikki »

Also MP3 support is very flaky, download this one and try getting Hollywood to play it. When I compile it and run it - it freezes - requiring a reboot.

http://feelslikechristmas.com/free-chri ... no-chaser/

Also any future plans to support MP4A?
Evolve - Rapid GUI Development tool for MUI Royale and RapaGUI
http://myevolve.wordpress.com
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

maybe even better tu supporting ogg?
Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
fingus

Post by fingus »

Sorry guys, but the real scene is using .MOD-Music :lol:
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

That MP3 that crashes Hollywood is very likely to be the fault of mpega.library because it crashes with other programs too that use mpega.library for playback. The OS4 version of mpega.library is pretty ancient (it's from the year 2004). Try to remove all unnecessary tags from the MP3 like APEv2 tags, cover images, etc. Then it should also work with mpega.library.

The problem with the low volume is related to AHI: Hollywood reserves 8 channels through AHI in order to be able to play back more than one sound at a time. AHI, however, will lower the volume with every new channel you reserve. That is why the sound is not 100% with Hollywood. Other programs just reserve one channel but for Hollywood this is not possible because it needs to be able to play back multiple sounds. It's the task of the AHI team to improve this situation. There's also nothing that I can do about the problem that when Hollywood is open no other program can access the AHI device. This is because AHI runs in exclusive mode when using the high level API. This should also be improved by the AHI authors but I don't have much hopes that there is going to be a significant change soon because these problems have been known since the beginning of AHI...