ChangeDirectory on MorphOS

Report any Hollywood bugs here
Juan Carlos

Re: ChangeDirectory on MorphOS

Post by Juan Carlos »

Also you will can make with your Hollywood one big game and a big program to test your language and find these issues in each system, instead of that users have report this bugs and you complain about these reports, because it's nonsense that users reports these issues and after pay for these fixes and sometimes the bug continues.
tolkien

Post by tolkien »

That is a nonsense. Hollywood is a beast that support a lot of platforms made by only a man. You cant show him a simple test with a bug but want a perfect product free of bugs.
Cmon mate...be patient.

One thing I have to agree is that almost a version could be free with some bugfixes only.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

tolkien wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:44 pm One thing I have to agree is that almost a version could be free with some bugfixes only.
Bug fixes aren't always easily backportable to older versions and because of the multitude of platforms involved this would be far too much work. For most bugs there are workarounds available anyway. And for really critical bugs I usually provide a hotfix, see here for example: viewtopic.php?p=11440#p11440
plouf

Post by plouf »

Juan Carlos wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:42 pm It is impossible because I shall make a special program to show this issue, and you will tell me MCVM, because it will have many code lines.
i have read this thread from the beginning, but really i can not understand your problem.

to me what you describe is not very clear, maybe because i dont have the knowledge of how your program works.

what andreas ask is absolute necessary in order to understand the problem, note that many other, incuding me do not really understant what is wrong with your program, what it should do, and what it does !

sometimes its annoying to crete small programs just to describe an issue, i know, but keep in mind that there are also some cases where when creating these small demostration problems you found the real problem !! :)

Please at least explain with more info (photos ?) the misbehavior in your program
Christos
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

plouf wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:30 pm
Juan Carlos wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:42 pm It is impossible because I shall make a special program to show this issue, and you will tell me MCVM, because it will have many code lines.
i have read this thread from the beginning, but really i can not understand your problem.

to me what you describe is not very clear, maybe because i dont have the knowledge of how your program works.

what andreas ask is absolute necessary in order to understand the problem, note that many other, incuding me do not really understant what is wrong with your program, what it should do, and what it does !

sometimes its annoying to crete small programs just to describe an issue, i know, but keep in mind that there are also some cases where when creating these small demostration problems you found the real problem !! :)

Please at least explain with more info (photos ?) the misbehavior in your program
The problem is very easy to explain but more difficult to repeat with code, making one little program, the same code with Windows open different folders/drawers but with MorphOS not, always open the same folder, this folders are saved in one file with its path and open when you click in the option, while in Windows works fine in MorphOS not, now to avoid this issue each option saves its path in independent file, how I can repeat this issue with a little example, I don't know.
Also for example I could see that in some programs with SetWBIcon when you iconifyed the program shows its icon and other times not, how you can repeat this issue in little example.
These are issues, difficult to repeat but easy to explain, for example I put in my site the program Witch Cleaner for Windows and MorphOS with the files and code for Andrea could see the issue but his answer was MCVM, I can't do more, also other problem cans be the outdate of Hollywood with the last gcc of MorphOS and the last MorphOS version, because the MorphOS cores evolving, but it is impossible with the Hollywood core update with each new MorphOS.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 pm
tolkien wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:44 pm One thing I have to agree is that almost a version could be free with some bugfixes only.
Bug fixes aren't always easily backportable to older versions and because of the multitude of platforms involved this would be far too much work. For most bugs there are workarounds available anyway. And for really critical bugs I usually provide a hotfix, see here for example: viewtopic.php?p=11440#p11440
Thank you Andreas for the link, because I don't know of this new version of Windows IDE, I donwloaded and test with the right mouse button and yes, the IDE continues crashing with Windows 7 x64.
About the "multitude of platforms involved" as a Spanish saying says "El que abarca mucho devora poco"="He who covers a lot devours little" the problem is that you make a language for too many systems, and you think in Android, Linux, etc. it is good but you have forgotten that the users we use the Hollywood for make games or programs for Amiga systems, maybe you think in leave to give support to some systems as MAC PPC, Linux PPC and think in Amiga, Windows, Linux, Android, or MAC x32-x64-ARM.
tolkien

Post by tolkien »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 pm

I now it Andreas. I have Hollywood and designer since a decade +- and really love your work.
But a bugfix version from for example 8.0 to 8.1 is the same base version. Yes, we all know is impossible to have a bug free code.
This is only a suggestion...I'm a proud hollywood owner :)
plouf

Post by plouf »

Juan Carlos wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:58 am The problem is very easy to explain but more difficult to repeat with code, making one little program, the same code with Windows open different folders/drawers but with MorphOS not, always open the same folder, this folders are saved in one file with its path and open when you click in the option, while in Windows works fine in MorphOS not, now to avoid this issue each option saves its path in independent file, how I can repeat this issue with a little example, I don't know.
Also for example I could see that in some programs with SetWBIcon when you iconifyed the program shows its icon and other times not, how you can repeat this issue in little example.
These are issues, difficult to repeat but easy to explain, for example I put in my site the program Witch Cleaner for Windows and MorphOS with the files and code for Andrea could see the issue but his answer was MCVM, I can't do more, also other problem cans be the outdate of Hollywood with the last gcc of MorphOS and the last MorphOS version, because the MorphOS cores evolving, but it is impossible with the Hollywood core update with each new MorphOS.
SO just to clarify things and gather information !

1) you have some "prefs" file, i have to guess that you have NOT used LoadPrefs /SavePrefs but something of your own
2) you have a program that read this prefs file, and open something based on this information
3) the "prefs" file has a lot of strings , each string correspond to fullpath of an application
4) you do something (execute app ?) but you have some problem ,,, sometimes... sometimes not but all times problem is Under MorphOS NOT Windows
5) you dont have a problem if each "string" is saved in separate "prefs"
6) at any case your are unable to reproduce this, by just coding a simple program that saves 2-5-10 "strings" and read them back (have you try?)

Firstly i have to agree that this description, most probably, looks like a problem in your script and not hollywood itself
however i have to Ask if the following test are preformed

1) did a simple program even has been tried,b your side, in order to check reaction ?
2) have you try to "debug" your big program by using, for example, SystemRequest() BEFORE and AFTER each "string" has been saved and also BEFORE and AFTER each "string" has been read en back from your prefs ?
3) have you consider the core diffirence that Hollywood is pure UTF (nowdays) windwos are alsu Pure UTF, but amiga OSes not 100% UTF ready ?
4) have you consider escape strings ? \\ etc , also take in consideration that windows have OPPOSITE slashes for directories than amiga os'es
5) most important do you have the will to spend some time debug/search issue ? even if deep inside you feel that everything is OK from side ?

even though i am NOT the best here, i also have Morphos and Winuae(68k) and Windows, and you give you a shot testing together a few option and/or triyng to reproduce problem
Christos
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

I try to write a short explain, the steps wrote for you are corrects, I though un the backslash for the paths because as you told me are inverse between MorphOS and Windows.
I didn't use the debug but I did a easy test printing the each path read from preferences files, and It was ok, even reading the file with a text editor and the program saveds the path correctly, the problem, when you use the path in each option is the issue because only handle one path for allí options, when this issue with Windows not happen, here is when I don't know where is the problem.
But this issue I have seen with other programs mine, it isn't new. But now the program works with four files with the paths, I leave it.