Busy pointer

Report any Hollywood bugs here
jap

Busy pointer

Post by jap »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

When I create a standard wait pointer with CreatePointer ( idBusyPointer = CreatePointer ( Nil, #POINTER, #STDPTR_BUSY ) ) and my Hollywood application is running on Mac (OS X 10.6.4), I get Amiga wait pointer. But, creating a standard pointer ( idPointer = CreatePointer ( Nil, #POINTER, #STDPTR_SYSTEM ) ) results Amiga pointer on Amiga and Mac pointer on Mac.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Busy pointer

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

It's a feature :)

Apple's UI guidelines forbid applications to show the system's busy pointer because they say applications should be written in a way that they are always responsive and never busy locked. That's why Hollywood falls back to a different busy pointer on Mac OS X. Apple's UI guidelines are really funny, by the way. For example, it's also forbidden to apps since 10.4 or so to invoke the system requester with a big red "STOP SIGN" (the error requester)... this was deemed as too aggressive by someone influential at Apple so it is also disabled now. At least for normal apps. The system itself still has access to it, you can see that by removing an USB flash drive without unmounting it first :)