[12 Jul 2012] Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android out now!

Contains all messages from the Hollywood mailing list between 01/2006 and 08/2012
airsoftsoftwair

[12 Jul 2012] Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android out now!

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 12:30:30 +0200

Airsoft Softwair is proud to announce that Hollywood is now also available for Android devices (ARM architecture). This makes it possible for the first time for every Hollywood user to run his Hollywood applets on smart phones and tablet computers running Android. Everything you need is the Hollywood Player for Android which is now available as a free download on Google Play (Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .hollywood ) To see what Hollywood on Android looks like check out a little demo video on YouTube (Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzLIo4WRjso )

Please note that the Hollywood Player for Android requires at least Android 2.3. To get your own Hollywood project onto your Android device, simply compile it as a Hollywood applet (*.hwa) from the Hollywood GUI or Hollywood Designer and then copy it into a directory named "Hollywood" on the SD card of your Android device. Then you can easily run it using the Hollywood Player!

Featurewise the Hollywood Player for Android is pretty identical to the desktop version of Hollywood, plugins and videos are fully supported. Due to security reasons, however, certain functionality like starting external programs is currently disabled. You can find a complete list of differences between the desktop and mobile versions of Hollywood in the release notes in the Hollywood forums. Please note that the Hollywood Player for Android is a WIP snapshot from the current development version of Hollywood 5.1 which has not been released yet and is still a work-in-progress.

Due to the multitude of Android devices and the often scarcely documented native development interface of Android, it can happen that this app does not run on your Android device. If that is the case, please let us know in the Hollywood forums or via email.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .hollywood

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzLIo4WRjso

Link: http://www.hollywood-mal.com/
Robin

[12 Jul 2012] Re: Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android out now!

Post by Robin »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:01:01 +0200

Cool :D Now I have even more reason to start collecting money for the Nexus 7 tablet :)
airsoftsoftwair

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:14:46 +0200

By the way: If you download the app from Google Play, don't hesitate to rate it and/or write a comment or review. This makes the app more trustworthy for new users who don't know Airsoft Softwair!
airsoftsoftwair

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:17:09 +0200

It also helps the Hollywood Player to appear higher in the Google Play ranking. If there are no user ratings or comments, it will probably stay on the last page or so. :)
Dwayne

[12 Jul 2012] RE: Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android out now!

Post by Dwayne »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:40:01 +0000

Andreas,

Any possibility of a Blackberry Playbook version. I have tried to recompile for playbook but it fails due to compilation of native code and a missing class dex?

I have sold my android tablet in favour of a Blackberry and prefer it. The downfall of course is the market is smaller although many android apps can be recompiled for Blackberry as long as there are no missing dependencies or JNI hasn't been used.

Regards,

Dwayne
airsoftsoftwair

[12 Jul 2012] RE: Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android out now!

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:46:19 +0200
Andreas,

Any possibility of a Blackberry Playbook version. I have tried to recompile for playbook but it fails due to compilation of native code and a missing class dex?
Sorry, a Playbook version is not very likely unless it gets much more users. Supporting a new platform is always a lot of work so I can only do it for platforms that have lots of users like Android.
I have sold my android tablet in favour of a Blackberry and prefer it. The downfall of course is the market is smaller although many android apps can be recompiled for Blackberry as long as there are no missing dependencies or JNI hasn't been used.
I don't have a Playbook here so I can't check if a simple recompile would work but I doubt it.
Dwayne

[14 Jul 2012] RE: Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android out now!

Post by Dwayne »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sat, 14 Jul 2012 03:29:51 +0000

Andreas,

The SDK is available and has an emulator to test. Native apps are compiled and written in C or C++ and not java. There are a large range of libraries supported including bzip2, c-ares, cURL, EGL, Expat, FreeType, FontConfig, ICU, libiconv, libxml2, ncurses, openal, opengl es, openkode, openssl, sqllite, zlib, alut, boost,box2d, bullet physics, cocos2d-x, dosbox, gameplay, lua, openal, openttd, pcre, qt, sdl, spidermonkey.

Java is also supported and they have great resources for converting android apps to the playbook but given the large number of supported libraries you might find your code more compatible with C/C++.

You might be surprised and find that a simple recompile could work, but I would understand if you don't have the time to investigate. But on the off chance you do I would be more than willing to test things for you.

Regards,

Dwayne
nexus

[19 Jul 2012] Re: Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android out now!

Post by nexus »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:38:45 +0200 (CEST)

Very cool! I tried it on my thinkpad tablet but it doesn't work. Most likely because it's not an ARM CPU but a NVIDIA Tegra 2 CPU :)

Any chance that this architecture will be supported sooner (or later?).

Thanks, nexus
airsoftsoftwair

[19 Jul 2012] Re: Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android out now!

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:20:34 +0200
Very cool! I tried it on my thinkpad tablet but it doesn't work. Most likely because it's not an ARM CPU but a NVIDIA Tegra 2 CPU :)
No, this CPU is fully compatible. I've an Acer Iconia A500 tablet which uses exactly the same CPU. Can you send an error report through Google Play? Then I can see what's wrong there.
nexus

[30 Jul 2012] Re: Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android out now!

Post by nexus »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:00:11 +0200 (CEST)
No, this CPU is fully compatible. I've an Acer Iconia A500 tablet which uses exactly the same CPU. Can you send an error report through Google Play? Then I can see what's wrong there.
Hi Andreas,

sorry for my late reply .. doing job interviews is a annoying and time consuming task ;)

Actually, I did send immediately a bug report via google play from my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet. I can do it again. Should i mention something special such that you know that the bug report comes from my tablet?

Thanks again, Tom