[16 Mar 2011] png not being read

Contains all messages from the Hollywood mailing list between 01/2006 and 08/2012
cecilia

[16 Mar 2011] png not being read

Post by cecilia »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:04:16 -0000

I have the Premium newest version of AmigaForever which is installed on windows7

I an running Hollywood (newest version) in Amikit but for some reason my AmiKit doesn't finish booting up and until I figure out what is the problem I figured I would try AmigaSYS.

I looked to see if AmigaSYS has Powericons and it does but when I try to run some of the included programs that come with Hollywood I get a message that the png file is unknown or something. I made a screen grab but right now I can't find it - sorry.

I have searched and searched and found no info and I'm at a loss at this point. I didn't get this notification when I used Hollywood on AmiKit but as I said, that isn't even working at all right now (unrelated to Hollywood).

When I find that screen grab of the notification window I'll post it.
Juan Carlos

[17 Mar 2011] Re: png not being read

Post by Juan Carlos »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:07:58 +0000 (GMT)

Hello Cecilia, there is a big problem with the PowerIcons and the PNG icons made with AfA_OS and if you are using the PowerIcons for a strange reason the PNG Icons from AfA_OS aren't recognizes for this but to PowerIcons created in a system with this patch if are recognizes for AfA_OS, the solution is you owerwrite one PNG PowerIcon in a AfA_OS and if you have the copyicon program drag and drop the AfA_OS over the PowerIcons,

I hope help you in this problem that I had when I used PowerIcons in my WinUAE harddisk, now I'm using AfA_OS and the these icons works and show perfectly on OS4.
cecilia

[18 Mar 2011] Re: png not being read

Post by cecilia »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:22:00 -0000

hm, well this is a problem with AmigaSYS as I have not changed any of the default settings. I'll see if I can get in touch with them to let them know about this.

thanks
Juan Carlos

[19 Mar 2011] Re: Re: png not being read

Post by Juan Carlos »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sat, 19 Mar 2011 09:20:13 +0000 (GMT)

Hello Cecilia, for me is a big surprise that there is a girl using the Amiga, only cheer up! and to continue with this computer hobby.

Best regards from Juan Carlos.

P.D.: A good idea for you and the Amiga community PNG icons from the feminine point of view.
cecilia

[20 Mar 2011] Re: png not being read

Post by cecilia »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:53:13 -0000

Thank you for the welcome but I'm hardly "new" to Amiga. I got my first computer in 1989 and I still have that Amiga 2000 although it lives in it's box right now because the HD stopped working.

However, that Amiga helped me move my career toward computer animation/graphics. And That led me moving to Los Angeles and work on some TV projects that eventually won Emmy's.

I'd say my Amiga did very well by me. Because the companies that owned the Amiga name failed to keep up with technology, artists like the people I worked with stopped using Amiga's in their studios. But the effect of using Amiga's lasts well past their presence in the workplace. It's a mental thing.

I bought AmigaForever so I could keep using Amiga programs on any system I have. And I see great potential in Hollywood. Although dealing with scripts is a bit annoying to an artist like myself. I am thinking maybe I should get Designer so I can just do things the "lazy" way. :)

Anyway, first I have to make sure my set up is stable and workable and if I could figure out why the AmiKit isn't booting up that would ease my mind - but all that has nothing to do with Hollywood. Sorry to hijack but we could consider this my introduction post.

And, yes, I like png's because they make beautiful images. I wish the Web would adopt animated pngs. So far the only browsers which can view them are Opera nad Firefox. But, I am, once again, getting off topic.
Clyde

[22 Mar 2011] Re: png not being read

Post by Clyde »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:09:50 +0100

Hi Cecilia,

regarding your AmiKit problem: Could you describe in more detail what errors occur when you boot Amikit? Maybe we could help you better then ... Also, you could post on the forums of the official site here: http://amikit.amiga.sk/

OT: As a series junkie :-) I am very interested in the TV shows you worked on!!! Any examples? :-)

Greetings
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
cecilia

[23 Mar 2011] Re: png not being read

Post by cecilia »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:07:58 -0000

I start up AmigaForever, start AmiKit and it looks like it is starting up because that default green page comes up....and it just sits there. I would guess that something may be missing or it can find a file......I don't know. The only thing I changed is to install ImageFX and Hollywood.

I was thinking that maybe I should reinstall AmiKit but it's not obvious how to do that. it's not even obvious how to uninstall. I'll take a look at that link, thanks.

As to my work: HBO made a "mini-series" called "From the Earth to the Moon" about the Apollo missions to the Moon. If you haven't watched it, trust me, it's NOT dry. On the contrary it's quite exciting and breathtaking and I'm so proud to have added my little contributions. It still gets broadcast on HBO as well as other cable channels every now and again. I worked on the 3rd and 4th episodes in particular. Several shots of the capsule going around the earth were used as part of the opening credits for each episode.

I also worked on the SciFi Channels Mini-series "Frank Herbert's Dune" and "Children of Dune".

And there were various films along the way. One which is notable - not because it's good - but because the effects were all done using Amiga's. "Hologram Man" - everytime you see the lead actors wear a gold leotard with a bluish glow around them that is mostly me removing the actor from a blue screen using ImgaeFX. Exciting, right? LOL

I just found the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIR4C80k9q4&fmt=18

I also did some effects for "Y2K" (1999) - with the excellent Louis Gossett Jr. For some odd reason this is really hard to find. I did Green screen work on this one and by this time we were no longer using Amiga's.
Clyde

[25 Mar 2011] Re: Re: png not being read

Post by Clyde »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:45:24 +0100

Hi!
I start up AmigaForever, start AmiKit and it looks like it is starting up because that default green page comes up....and it just sits there. I would guess that something may be missing or it can find a file......I don't know. The only thing I changed is to install ImageFX and Hollywood.
So this means, AmiKit did start when you installed it the first time and after you installed ImageFX and Hollywood it does not start anymore, right?

Ok, here are some thoughts: AmiKit starts a version of DOpus in the background. This is shareware, so you can use it but either you register DOpus or you have to click on a popup in order to make AmiKit continue to boot. It could be that you don't see the popup and that's why AmiKit refuses to continue to boot. Try to hit ESC or enter or any other key. Maybe you will see the popup then or the popup is confirmed or something.
I was thinking that maybe I should reinstall AmiKit but it's not obvious how to do that. it's not even obvious how to uninstall. I'll take a look at that link, thanks.
Just look for the directory where you installed the "Amiga Files" of Amiga Forever. Under it you find directories like "Applications", "Demos", "Games" etc. Now go to "Shared" -> "dir". There you find the AmiKit folder. I guess it is enough to erase it (or: better move it to a backup folder), restart Amiga Forever and double click AmiKit there. It will be redownloaded and installed again.

As I use Hollywood with no problem under AmiKit I would suggested to install Hollywood first, reboot, and install ImageFX afterwards and see, whether it reboots again.

As to my work: HBO made a "mini-series" called "From the Earth to the Moon" about the Apollo missions to the Moon. If you haven't watched it, trust me, it's NOT dry. On the contrary it's quite exciting and breathtaking and I'm so proud to have added my little contributions. It still gets broadcast on HBO as well as other cable channels every now and again. I worked on the 3rd and 4th episodes in particular. Several shots of the capsule going around the earth were used as part of the opening credits for each episode.
Unfortunately in Germany we can't watch HBO. :-( And believe me, as a Trekkie and Astronomy interested person I am quite sure I wouldn't think it is dry. Is that the mini-series Mike Okuda also worked on???
I also worked on the SciFi Channels Mini-series "Frank Herbert's Dune" and "Children of Dune".
Impressive!!!

And there were various films along the way. One which is notable - not because it's good - but because the effects were all done using Amiga's. "Hologram Man" - everytime you see the lead actors wear a gold leotard with a bluish glow around them that is mostly me removing the actor from a blue screen using ImgaeFX. Exciting, right? LOL

I just found the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIR4C80k9q4&fmt=18
Hehe, cool trailer! Looks like a perfect trash movie (in a positive meaning and of course considering the time we live now). I will have a look for that if it will be aired in TV.
I also did some effects for "Y2K" (1999) - with the excellent Louis Gossett Jr. For some odd reason this is really hard to find. I did Green screen work on this one and by this time we were no longer using Amiga's.
Hm, interesting! I wonder whether you would like a first hand report for the Amiga Future!? I think that would be most interesting!!!

Greetings!
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
cecilia

[25 Mar 2011] Re: png not being read

Post by cecilia »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:01:35 -0000
So this means, AmiKit did start when you installed it the first time and after you installed ImageFX and Hollywood it does not start anymore, right?
yes. I had started up AmiKit several times before this to try it out (love it), install Hollywood and play around. It just stopped working one day. boo woo :)
Ok, here are some thoughts: AmiKit starts a version of DOpus in the background. This is shareware, so you can use it but either you register DOpus or you have to click on a popup in order to make AmiKit continue to boot. It could be that you don't see the popup and that's why AmiKit refuses to continue to boot. Try to hit ESC or enter or any other key. Maybe you will see the popup then or the popup is confirmed or something.
yes, the next thing SHOULD be the registration popup, which never seems to arrive. I'll try out your suggestions. thanks
Just look for the directory where you installed the "Amiga Files" of Amiga Forever. Under it you find directories like "Applications", "Demos", "Games" etc. Now go to "Shared" -> "dir". There you find the AmiKit folder. I guess it is enough to erase it (or: better move it to a backup folder), restart Amiga Forever and double click AmiKit there. It will be redownloaded and installed again.
One would think it could be that easy, it's just that since this is installed on windows I never assume anything related to windows can possibly be that simple. but I'll see if I can try this.
Unfortunately in Germany we can't watch HBO. :-( And believe me, as a Trekkie and Astronomy interested person I am quite sure I wouldn't think it is dry. Is that the mini-series Mike Okuda also worked on???
Possibly, but the number of people doing effects for E2M (as we called it) was a large number. Some of the shops working were Digital Domain, Area 51, Metrolight Studios, Hollywood Digital, AI Effects, Inc (where I worked) and a bunch of others. there's so many and frankly, I hung out in front of the computer. So I don't know :)

They are still selling the DVD set - not that I make any money from this. It's just so good it can be viewed again and again. Completely unbiased opinion. really.
Hm, interesting! I wonder whether you would like a first hand report for the Amiga Future!? I think that would be most interesting!!!

Greetings!
Do you mean an interview? heck, I am happy to talk to anyone about Amiga/art/effects at any time. I think many people don't quite appreciate the historic value of Amiga. Too many people are whining about this "lost" past or what-it-could-have-been and just don't realize that Amiga changed the whole landscape.

thanks for the compliments and the help